Oh noes! My Prius is outta control!!11

toyotas have an abnormal shifter. Like this.

6137_st0640_087.jpg

No neutral....? what?

EDIT: It must be whatever the white is covering.

This is what the prius has.

ToyotaPriusShifter.jpg

If its an electronic issue, there is no way this will work.

EDIT 2: There's the EV button. It puts the car in electric mode.

toyotas have an abnormal shifter. Like this.

6137_st0640_087.jpg

No neutral....? what?

EDIT: It must be whatever the white is covering.

This is what the prius has.

ToyotaPriusShifter.jpg

If its an electronic issue, there is no way this will work.

EDIT 2: There's the EV button. It puts the car in electric mode.

I wonder if you could go from D to P even if it would smash you tranny atleast it would be out of gear

New cars (in fact, a lot of old cars too) will not allow park to be engaged beyond a certain speed. It simply puts the car in neutral. They tested this on Mythbusters. So I guess he should have put it in park.

In the event of accelerator malfunction follow this procedure
1 push brakes if that fails to stop
2 put car in neutral and hope to coast to a stop if that fails
3 turn key off and if that fails
4 tuck into a fetal position unbuckle open door and roll out

there you have it

There is more than that that you could do, but nobody thinks of it.

Bail out, lol. I would try to create a controlled crash of some sorts before I did that.

But honestly, just find a huge parking lot or field or something and drive in circles until it runs out of gas. Can't take too long at 90 MPH, even being a prius.

Going 90mph any crash wouldn't be controlled....lol

If you were on the highway going downhill through the mountains maybe you would be lucky enough to find one of those runaway semi things that go uphill and is covered with deep sand and water barrels. I've seen them on the highway on my way to NC on the mountain highways. What are the chances of that though.

I guess you could attempt to softly put it in a ditch, but again, 90mph......

You could possibly put it in a lake or something, but idk that is prolly a horrible idea.

I did see a ferrarri drive into a lake on youtube going 80, and it didn't go too far. The driver was able to get out pretty easily.

He could have also chosen a lower gear. It would have engine braked the car.

Putting it in neutral I believe just sets it to coast, and wouldn't slow the car down at all, like comments have suggested

Putting a car into neutral will slow a car down unless you're on a massive decline on the highway. No power to the wheels will eventually cause the car to slow down.

On a different forum, someone with a prius tried and said you can't shift to neutral while accelerating, so that isn't possible.

This happened to older camry's too. I think the 96 or 97 one.

You actually can. There are videos on Youtube that show Prius owners trying this out; full acceleration and then shifting into Neutral works.

Edit: Here's one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_03lbr-Jw

Oh I know that, but it'd take an awfully long time.

A manual car anyway, would slow down a lot quicker if set to lower gears.

Back
Top Bottom