Network help

j-man

Beta member
Okay, I'm new here and didn't quite find a forum to post this in:

Basically, I have been away at University on a LAN network(wired) and have been returning home to a wireless BT network, which all worked fine, until last weekend, where I managed to be connected to the internet, but no browsers would work. Having scoured the internet for solutions i cant seem to find the best option. any help???

May I also add that every other network works fine.

Well I get the message's saying "Internet explorer cannot find the webpage" and similar with firefox, google chrome and safari.

What OS are you running? Try going to start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt

and from there, type "ping google.com".

You should get a response like this:

C:\Users\Joe>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [74.125.67.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=157ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=209ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=235ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.67.100: bytes=32 time=291ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 74.125.67.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 157ms, Maximum = 291ms, Average = 223ms.

If not, we know it's a problem with your actual connection and not with the browser.

Yeah got a response like that, all the connection seems fine, but msn messenger and my browsers are not working at all. for example when i go to Diagnose and Repair it states that it cannot see a problem.

Your not connected to a VPN or anything, are you? AFAIK, Some uni's require for you to connect via VPN to access the internet, and it might still be trying to do that...?

Yeah it is on VPN(the uni connection), however i have tried disabling the LAN cable internet thing, with the browsers still not loading. i don't see how one week when i come home it works then the next it just stops loading webpages, as it works perfectly on the UNI lan connection.

Try disabling the VPN connection, and not the LAN connection. It might still be trying to connect to the VPN, regardless of LAN/WLAN connections.

Back
Top Bottom