My computer just crapped out :(

O my I'm just laughing now. I've spent the last week dealing with dell and there foreign support trying to get my Grandmothers laptop fixed. Got that all taken care of and was sitting here with my computer locked. I noticed the screen didn't come on when I woke it up and was like WTF.

I restart the computer and it beeps and goes through the post and displays the bios screen. I try and go past it and my damn keyboard is a no connection. Great my Logitech MX5000 has lost its pass key again...

So I grab a wired USB keyboard and hook it up. Its not responding either. It then hits me. A few days ago my Evdo USB modem was flashing a red light by the power display (Its supposed to be green). I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was fine back to a green light. My Sync cable showed I was getting power through to my cell phone.

So I unplug all my USB peripherals and turn the computer back onto the bios screen. I then try both a USB mouse and Keyboard in all the freaking slots. Nothing no lights no nothing. Grab a spare computer and hook the keyboard/mouse up and it lights up.

This is freaking great. I've been off work all damn week and it decides to take a shit the day before I go back to work. I don't think I've got anywhere I can get a PCI USB slot today now and will be sleeping through the day tomorrow for night shift. I assume and hope this is the only issue. I don't have any way to interact to do any diagnostic's to know if anything else is jacked or not.

So I've hooked up my old computer back up which is virtually stripped and way out of date as far as updates etc. So I get to go to all my sites and guess my passwords. I don't believe this computer has a sata port on it so I can't swap my HD's out. The damn DVI adapter on the GPU doesn't work so I'm stuck on a little ass 17" LCD display.

I don't even know if my board is still warrantied or not. I guess I'll have to call Evga and find out and try and get a Rma. Seems like a pain in the ass though I might just order a new board.

I've been out of the motherboard game though so whats some decent boards with new 45nm support? I figure if I decide to just buy another one I might as well get something that supports the latest cpu's. That or just dust out my old P5n32 Sli and hook it up.

Blah blah blah sorry I'm just rambling. God damn it this pisses me off. I spend all week dicking with other peoples shit now mine craps out. I guess its been to long since I've had any problems so I'm due for something dumb like this to happen.

Well I don't know whats going on. I was getting ready to setup a RMA and decided to try it one more time.

I hooked everything back up and this time it recognized the mouse and keyboard. I then launched it and it re connected the keyboard but my wireless mouse still wouldn't work. So I uninstalled Setpoint and restarted. At first it didn't work but now everything seems to be working.

I don't know what was going on. It just doesn't make sense I've had to do that before with the keyboard and its never not responded like that.

I'm getting an erratic signal from my modem now. It may just be the weather or it isn't getting enough power although the lights green. I guess I'll just run it a bit and see what happens.

I just checked everest and my power is good and within tolerance.

Edit: I just checked the USB root hubs and there within there power levels. I don't know whats going on lol.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;825305 said:
Well I don't know whats going on. I was getting ready to setup a RMA and decided to try it one more time.

I hooked everything back up and this time it recognized the mouse and keyboard. I then launched it and it re connected the keyboard but my wireless mouse still wouldn't work. So I uninstalled Setpoint and restarted. At first it didn't work but now everything seems to be working.

I don't know what was going on. It just doesn't make sense I've had to do that before with the keyboard and its never not responded like that.

I'm getting an erratic signal from my modem now. It may just be the weather or it isn't getting enough power although the lights green. I guess I'll just run it a bit and see what happens.

I just checked everest and my power is good and within tolerance.

Edit: I just checked the USB root hubs and there within there power levels. I don't know whats going on lol.

the computer is obviously mad at you for not having given it tolerable internet connection for so long. its unleashing its wrath.

Wait so usb isn't working right?

If so, unplug the computer from power and open up the case. Once that's done, press and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Now, Put your finger on the back of the USB ports and press and hold the power button for thirty seconds.

After that plug everythign in and USB should work again.

This is why PS/2 ports are still good to have granted you have a keyboard and mouse to lug into them... I don't rely on USB for my keyboard, just PS/2, and I have a converted foir my USB mouse... You could keep a cheapo backup keyboard/mouse for cases like this. I know...I know, you have to suffer with a lame PS/2 mouse and keyboard for a little bit in that case. :rolleyes: As opposed to your tiny 17" LCD...lol

Wait so usb isn't working right?

If so, unplug the computer from power and open up the case. Once that's done, press and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Now, Put your finger on the back of the USB ports and press and hold the power button for thirty seconds.

After that plug everythign in and USB should work again.

I got it working. I'm not sure what was going on with it. When I unplugged everything I flipped the switch in the back as well. It was weird when none of them responded.

Just curious what holding the power button with my fingers on the USB's supposed to do? Is it some type of IT trick?

This is why PS/2 ports are still good to have granted you have a keyboard and mouse to lug into them... I don't rely on USB for my keyboard, just PS/2, and I have a converted foir my USB mouse... You could keep a cheapo backup keyboard/mouse for cases like this. I know...I know, you have to suffer with a lame PS/2 mouse and keyboard for a little bit in that case. :rolleyes: As opposed to your tiny 17" LCD...lol

I used to have a PS/2 keyboard but my 680I doesn't do PS/2. It killed that keyboard lol. USB is really the only option for this board.

I'm just glad to have it back working. I don't realize how much I do and take for granted with my setup until it quit working there. I hope no more issue's like this arise in the near future.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;825354 said:
I got it working. I'm not sure what was going on with it. When I unplugged everything I flipped the switch in the back as well. It was weird when none of them responded.

Just curious what holding the power button with my fingers on the USB's supposed to do? Is it some type of IT trick?

I used to have a PS/2 keyboard but my 680I doesn't do PS/2. It killed that keyboard lol. USB is really the only option for this board.

I'm just glad to have it back working. I don't realize how much I do and take for granted with my setup until it quit working there. I hope no more issue's like this arise in the near future.

wait...celegorm, so you push the USB slots outward forcefully while holding the power button?

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;825354 said:
Just curious what holding the power button with my fingers on the USB's supposed to do? Is it some type of IT trick

It grounds it. USB ports somehow tend to build up a static charge that can make them stop working By holding the power button you are discharging the capacitors, and by touching it you are giving that current a place to go.

IT trick? Possibly. It's actually something I learned from Dell. Freaky huh?

It grounds it. USB ports somehow tend to build up a static charge that can make them stop working By holding the power button you are discharging the capacitors, and by touching it you are giving that current a place to go.

IT trick? Possibly. It's actually something I learned from Dell. Freaky huh?

o_0 DELL?!

Back
Top Bottom