More info on realistic animations in games

Kage

Golden Master
You may remember a post I made a couple of weeks back, about a new technology to use in Next gen games to provide realistic character animations (without pre-determined animations).

Well, there is more information about the game now that is going to be the first to use it. Indiana Jones.

As well as realistic character physics/animations (not one fall will be the same), theres also even more realistic physics for objects breaking too.

Check it out here:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705489p1.html

I believe its this type of gameplay interaction that will make games truely next gen. Not just the graphics.

What is the technology called? (CAnt click link, theres a bitch watching my like a hawk)

EUPHORIA:

"The first, called Euphoria, deals strictly with character behavior and artificial intelligence. It lets NPC characters interact with their environment realistically. Beyond this, it grants them the tools and intelligence necessary to accomplish their own agendas, whether that's helping Indy or trying to kill him.
Throughout the entire demo, enemies reacted differently to every attack. Every time Indy grabbed someone and tossed him through a window or door, he'd react differently. And that's because there isn't a single canned animation in the entire game. Behavioral intelligence dictates every gesture, punch, kick and grapple. Say you punch an enemy and he falls. Not only will he fall differently ever time, but he'll also stand up differently also. Enemies will use tables, cars or anything else available to stand up. And again, it's not a canned animation. Enemies simply know that it's the easiest way they'll get back up. As such, you'll toss villainous thugs through all manners of stuff and they'll try to recover from your attacks with whatever is available."

DIGITAL MOLECULAR MATTER:

"In addition to Euphoria, Indiana Jones will also feature a technology dubbed Digital Molecular Matter. It lets materials in the environment react like their real-world counterparts. Wood buckles and splinters realistically. Ice and glass cracks and shatters. And metal bends and dents under extreme force. The effect is far cooler than it sounds. Sure, you've seen wooden crates bust open before, and you've seen glass shatter. But up until now, most environmental destruction has been the result of pre-defined animations and texture work. And even when it didn't, it never considered real-world physical properties."

yeah, made a thread about it actually lol

i hate this chick

i dont like getting bossed around by someone only 4 years older than me lmao

Look up again, I've added some more.

I don't know, its just the first thats happened to use the technology. But I'm pretty sure more and more games will once this hits the market. It seems so much more advanced, that I can't wait to see videos of it.

If you didn't see the first video link of the Euporia engine in action (Made by Natural Motion) , check that here (though you can't can you :p :

http://www.naturalmotion.com/pages/demos.htm

So.. say that the thug gets thrown on the ground theres a stray pipe lying next to him, would the npc see that, and utilize it as a weapon just as a thug on the streets would in a fight? Or is that something different?

(That's something I would like to see, Instead of being able to predict everything)

You wouldn't be able to play a game through easily multiple times, Like you can these days, know exactly whats coming, duck roll, punch the air left, etc, etc lol

Back
Top Bottom