Maybe my last build...

strollin

Knowitall!
I just hit 65 the other day and recently built a new computer (went from a 3rd gen i7 to an 8th gen i7). Anyway, I'm not sure I'll build anymore computers going forward.

I had a heck of a time putting the new computer together. My eyes are at the point now where I need glasses and a flashlight to see into the computer case. My hands are shaky and that makes it very difficult to start those damn little screws. I couldn't even venture a guess as to how many times I dropped screws I was trying to start!

I used to enjoy putting them together but this time around it felt more like a chore than a hobby.

I think in the future, I will just select/buy the components I want but then get my son to do the actual assembly.

Anybody else (of us old guys) that feel the same?

I like building my own systems and I'm still running on my 3rd gen i5. I have the 2nd gen i3 I've built before this one stashed in storage.

I'm 68 and I'll build again but only when my fingers are cooperative. :lol:

This is why I quit playing guitar. CRS/CDS :rolleyes:

My manual dexterity has deteriorated quite a bit in the last year or so.

I used to like building computers. I built my first in 1985 and have been building them for myself, friends and family ever since. However, this last build took forever and required too much effort on my part so it just wasn't an enjoyable expereince like in the past.

Know what you mean. I have the same issues as you. I am wanting to start the train layout again but don't know if i can keep from shaking and loosing pieces when handling the little pieces. I think i will try, If i can't i can sell the stuff. I think i could do another computer, but don't know what sort of shape i will be in when that time comes...

Just had a thought. What are your plans with the 3rd gen i7? What is it and sell it?

Back
Top Bottom