mass effect copy protect

esa193

Fully Optimized
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po..._PC_Copy_Protection_is_Overkill.html#readmore

Looking forward to Mass Effect on the PC? You better be looking forward to re-validating your CD-Key every 10 days or you won't be able to play it anymore.

Here is BioWare's plan for copy protection:

"Mass Effect PC uses SecuROM which requires an online activation for the first time you play Mass Effect PC after installation. After the first activation, SecuROM requires that it re-check with the server within ten days in order to revalidate the CD key. If it can't contact the server before the 10 days are up, the game still runs and it will re-check until it is successful. If the check is not successfully performed within the 10 day period, Mass Effect will not run until an online check is successful."

Basically, this will punish paying customers while pirates merely circumvent the authentification process altogether (probably). The plan will also allow the game to be activated on 3 PCs at one time.

This almost seems like a Microsoft Windows level of copy protection and we all know how well that works... hint, it doesn't.

Mass Effect on the PC releases on May 27, 2008 and features an updated UI. Check out a Q&A on the copy protection at the BioWare Forums.

im sure people will hack it in about 2 weeks

lol.....security is kinda gettin outa hand these days when it comes to entertainment.

DRM, securROMs......ugh

never gonna buy that game becase of that.

I find that stuff like BF2 where pirated works only for sp, is cool.. I played a pirated copy until I decided I liked it enough to buy it.

the only thing they are doing is losing customers. :D Some people will refuse to buy the game because of this kind of BS. And those who thought of downloading the game.. well they will download the game. New protection might be effective for the first few weeks (or maybe even a month or two) but after that it's going to be as useless as all of the old ones.

Ugh, I hate most of the game protection "copyright" stuff.

Valve's idea with steam greatly reduces their piracy, to play online in normal servers you need the game! They also don't try to stop for example LAN only copy's of CS 1.6 floating around either.

if developers release there game through steam
we wont have any issues at all
so many people d/l from steam its like as big as xbox live

Nah, all the Steam games are cracked, the only problem is you can't play on VAC servers. Anything that's single player is easy though.

Really, it doesn't matter what kind of protection they use, eventually it's gonna be cracked. The only thing that making a big deal out of it like this does is make more people want to crack it faster. It may be a matter of days, months, or longer...but it'll be cracked soon enough. The crackers are always just one step behind the guys who write this stuff.

Valve's idea with steam greatly reduces their piracy, to play online in normal servers you need the game!

this is how it is with pretty much every recently released game. Single player works fine with a cracked version but for multiplayer you need a real serial number. (or a modified server)

this is how it is with pretty much every recently released game. Single player works fine with a cracked version but for multiplayer you need a real serial number. (or a modified server)
I was gonna say... MP is crackable too. On a lot of new games, even though I cant seem to crack it right, lol.

Back
Top Bottom