major shift in IT world on the way, (hopefully)

root

Site Team
Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6610901.stm

best prediction is that if you want to stay in IT then start brushing up on your Linux skills...

so... dual booting at the ready...

Dell is to start shipping a new OS as default...

"Computer maker Dell has chosen Ubuntu as the operating system for its range of Linux computers for consumers"

Wow...I guess it was to be expected.

I don't think this will be used by most users though. When the average user thinks Linux, they think super complicated. They already know how to use Windows, so why switch?

The average user at work has enough trouble using the guis and wizzards in windows so I can't see linux taking of in the main consumer desktop environment for a while

The only distro of Linux i have used is Knoppix, lol but I like it better that vista, But IMO XP Professional still Owns and will forever Own for me i love XP
A reason why i wouldn't want to fully move to a Linux os is because of games and all that stuff

The average user at work has enough trouble using the guis and wizzards in windows so I can't see linux taking of in the main consumer desktop environment for a while

However just checking email and chatting from Ubuntu is damned easy

Yeah, I think the typical PC user would like Ubuntu a lot. Maybe even more than XP once they got used to it.

Let's see: If Cedega lets me play my games WITHOUT locking up (damn SB live!), then I can say that Cedega will play a major role for gaming in Cedega. The movie preview shows NO or little differences in performance and quality. I can play 105FPS 800x600 in WOW, but as I move my mouse, it will lock up. In Windows, it did it also, so I popped out my damn Creative SB Live card for another PCI card.

Another thing I hate aobut Ubuntu is that it's weird. Last time, the OpenGL was enable all the way. Now, no...same steps done...what the he!!:mad:

However, I know enough of Linux, especially Ubuntu and Gnome to offer BASIC assistance.
Little compiling experience , advanced Terminal uses.

Back
Top Bottom