Lovers of England

Brookfield

Golden Master
I have relatives in America, some are descendents of the first English families to emigrate, way way back & a handful still have the surname "Cole", like mine, others are in-laws, in total, my relations there must number over 3000.

Out of the relatives that went to live there in say, the last 20 years are understandingly lovers of England, probably some of much the earlier ones are too, three families missed it so much they returned to live back here.

What I'd like to know is are many members, or members families who are descendents, & if so, how do they think of England today?, & are there any that yearn to return.

What sparked this off, was a programme about follies, for those who don't know what they are, they are built for various reasons, they are all totally useless as residences, some are solid brick or stone, others have interiors, some open to the sky, others not, no lighting no heating, all are tall, some up to 300 feet, most are in deep countryside, some in in view of the castle or mansion of the owner that had them built.
Follies aren't exclusively English, as you probably know, the French & the German ones are amongst the most well known, but for me who as most of you know lives in England they are a part of what is forever my country.

Re: Loers of England

England is not a country and English is not a nationality. You are British living in the United Kingdom.

Unless the nationalist cretins in Scotland get their way that is. That said, half my family live in the USA and Canada due to events occurring during World War II.

UK31337 said:
England is not a country and English is not a nationality. You are British living in the United Kingdom.

Unless the nationalist cretins in Scotland get their way that is. That said, half my family live in the USA and Canada due to events occurring during World War II.
A travel guide states; "England is a country of patchwork landscapes, rugged coastlines, ancient buildings, wandering lanes & great forests" etc.

Those born in Scotland are Scots.

Those born in Wales are Welsh.

I was born in England, I'm English.

Lol England IS a country! just as Scotland is etc. Kinda like saying Canada aint a country, its Northern America ;) Just cos ur on the same land mass doesnt mean were the same country.

Anubis1980 said:
Lol England IS a country! just as Scotland is etc. Kinda like saying Canada aint a country, its Northern America ;) Just cos ur on the same land mass doesnt mean were the same country.

rightly put, and yes England is a country last i checked.

Kinda puzzled at the point of this thread, but cool! Interesting read.

Anubis1980 said:
well said. if England aint a country then where the hell have i been for the last 35 years :D

haha, my surname is thorpe.. there are hundreds of people called thorpe all around the country (and most probably the US and others too).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorpe

thorpe means hamlet or small village, dating from anglo saxon times.. there are dozens of villages with the suffix thorpe too..

my surname is Rainbow, there ain't an awful lot of those around.

I have a lot of relatives in America mostly my mums sisters that married people from the local American airbase

mark thorpe said:
haha, my surname is thorpe.. there are hundreds of people called thorpe all around the country, and most probably the US and others too, thorpe means hamlet or small village, dating from anglo saxon times.. there are dozens of villages with the suffix thorpe too..
When I was a clerk in Security at Parkhurst prison, my Admin officer was George Thorpe, during WW II, he was a prisoner of the Japanese at the notorious Shanghi POW camp for two years, the food had little or no nutritious value, he lost three stone, developed diabetis, & lost one eye.
He was a bugger to work under, but we overlooked that, because of his dreadful experience, as no doubt you would have, you have a forgiving nature, as you've shown on CF, on certain matters.

Back
Top Bottom