Looking for a riding mower

Celery

Golden Master
I've been looking at used riders and what bothers me is that they're used. How many hours they have and how much abuse they went through.

So I looked for the cheapest new rider which is at Walmart for $845 + tax. It's a Murray 24" cut 8 horse job and the reviews were pretty good.

Now I'm out wheelin and dealin to scrap up some moolah. Already have $200 saved and can add $300 off my check so that's $500.

I'll have to go lean for a whole month. :angel:

Now let's see what I can dig up from my closet hmm... :lol:

I know I won't sell my guitars and amps even though I'm not playing much.

Just pointing out, why do you constantly make new threads in OT..? Seems a little odd to me lol. Maybe we should make a reflect on life thread? THis would also belong in the Random chit chat, just sayin... :p

How much property you gonna be mowing? We have 2.25 acres and have 2 John Deere tractors we use to mow with. One is a 21hp with a 42" deck and the other is a 26hp with a 54" deck. If 2 of us mow at the same time then the mowing gets done twice as quick. Mowing with a single tractor can take 4 hours or more.

Are you sure that mower had 8 horses? 8hp doesn't seem adequate to power the mowing blade and move you at the same time but I guess it depends on the terrain and what you'll be mowing.

It's a house with front and back yard in the neighborhood. I have a disability that keep me from walking too long so I quit pushing my mower.

@NikonGuy, trying to keep this forum hopping. :)

What's your excuse? ;)

How much property you gonna be mowing? We have 2.25 acres and have 2 John Deere tractors we use to mow with. One is a 21hp with a 42" deck and the other is a 26hp with a 54" deck. If 2 of us mow at the same time then the mowing gets done twice as quick. Mowing with a single tractor can take 4 hours or more.

:eek: 4 hours? I do 2 acres in about 1hr 30min! :eek:
What's your excuse? ;)
Hmm..

I got nothing. :lol:

:eek: 4 hours? I do 2 acres in about 1hr 30min! :eek:

Hmm..

I got nothing. :lol:
I don't see how. It would take me longer than 1.5 hrs to recover my just mowed property without actually mowing anything. Do you have any obstacles such as part of the area I mow is an orchard so I have to mow in and around my fruit trees. Also, I'm not mowing a lawn but an open field.

@ NikonGuy

Us older guys like to do things at a slower pace. Having sex or cutting the grass don't matter which.

(Happy now?)

Last edited:
I thought I found a good deal on CL last night. A guy just posted 10 minutes before I saw the ad for $300. It's a Weed Eater one 30" cut 190cc engine. It sell for $700 plus online.

Just the right size so I called him and left a message on his machine. This morning I looked at the reviews and wow, all thumbs down. Don't buy it don't buy it, it does not deserve to be called a lawn mower. The company should run and hide, etc etc.

Well, back to looking at the Murray for $850 plus $100 shipping. Sigh.

As I said before it's not worth looking at used machines.

Back
Top Bottom