Let Me Google That For You

I just graduated with a 4.024 GPA and have taken college courses for the past 2 years of my high school career. Don't talk to me like I'm some fruit-cake retard. At my school, the English teachers did care what "search engines" we used. They would always say to use Yahoo, Dog Pile, Ask, and other search engines besides Google (this was when Google was taking off and becoming mainstream, so all they knew was the other search engines). I've written enough research papers to know how much they suck. I've also had a few editorials in my local newspaper. I'm a very good writer, and can tell you first hand how much work it is to put a good argument or research paper together.

I didn't specifically say "search engines", and so in using the generic term "other" (sites), I was covering all bases. As cabbs was saying, they tried to push databases as well (which IMHO, if you aren't in college with the vast library resources they have, were a waste of time; people would always find one or two sentences to qualify for having used one :p). But they pushed hardest in the search engine area. Our English teachers weren't that bright, though, so their ignorance didn't surprise me.

My bad, I'm sorry.

It's okay. I just wanted you to know the full scoop. Would've helped if I wasn't so ambiguous in my previous post.

Nah, it's completely my fault. I'm just really used to seeing young, prepubescent kids complain about the "unfairness" of their teachers and the "length" of their research papers. I'm quite sure you know what I mean.

It's a pet peeve of mine to see this being used when legitimate questions are being asked. Just shows the ignorance and laziness of the poster who can't contribute any actual information to the thread.

Nah, it's completely my fault. I'm just really used to seeing young, prepubescent kids complain about the "unfairness" of their teachers and the "length" of their research papers. I'm quite sure you know what I mean.

I was kinda like that because I hated high school. After a quarter of college english, I see how easy I had it back then.

I do understand what you mean; and to be quite honestly, for 99.9% of teens, that is true (that's why I went off a little bit because I'm that .1%). I understand that most things in the world aren't fair, but instead of complaining, I write stuff about it professionally. I just had an editorial published about how my high school was not weighting my grades (and all of the other kids' grades who were taking college classes; whereas, high school kids taking the classes in the high school were receiving a higher grade). Anyways, I've been complimented on it quite a bit. I didn't just write something that said "this is stupid and unfair" (which is what most people would have written; so I totally understand what you mean Thelis); instead, I drew up a good argument and found supporting reasons (including legal issues) as to why it was not fair and why it need to be fixed, AND how to fix it.

And actually, I found my college English course easier (well, maybe not easier, but more MEANINGFUL) than my high school one. My high school one was full of so much piddly work it was just pointless. I actually LEARNED something (something I enjoy; after all, that's what school is for; the crap's pointless if you can't learn something useful) from my college courses vs. my high school ones. And I guess that's to be expected...

And actually, I found my college English course easier (well, maybe not easier, but more MEANINGFUL) than my high school one. My high school one was full of so much piddly work it was just pointless. I actually LEARNED something (something I enjoy; after all, that's what school is for; the crap's pointless if you can't learn something useful) from my college courses vs. my high school ones. And I guess that's to be expected...

I understand what you mean. My college english class actually made me want to do my work.

I understand what you mean. My college english class actually made me want to do my work.

Yes THAT is what I mean. HS was just like "blah, okay, let's get this done" (I still put lots of effort into it), but in college, you are kind of excited/happy/proud when you do your work and see the end result.

Back
Top Bottom