Just a post to mark the progress of my scout

Half Evil

Golden Master
I havent been here a while, so I figured I would let you all know what is going on actually since the 28th, which I have 3 PMS from and i will be responding shortly.

There have been quite a few major changes, and redirections with it.

Most Majorly, I got a 1965 International Travelall. Now everything on these things are interchangeable, but here is thing.... The Travelall is the precursor to the Suburban (you'll see why in a second). So everything on it is 3/4 ton. In fact the C channel frame is as heavy duty as whats on 1 ton trucks today.

But anyways, here is a picture of it and yes thats me

0504081424a.jpg

0504081425.jpg

We got this because first I wanted the axles. But this was luckly a 4x4, and has a V-8 in it. I also got it for free, so after a bit of debating and pondering, I decide to do a body swap.

First I start to take things apart nicely like so..

0521081730.jpg

And then I say fuck it, and this is the result of an oxy-ace torch

0523080836.jpg

0523081544.jpg

Reserved

But, from axle to axle it was 19'' longer then the scout.

So, I chop that out of it

0527081509.jpg

And weld it together

0528081152.jpg

0528081244a.jpg

Have not made supports yet though. Right now its more or less one big tac. So now this thing seems pretty stocky because its such heavy duty stuff, on such a short wheel base. Imagine the running gear off an F250 on a jeep. Thats more or less what I am doing here.

Did I mention this was a running engine? And all the fluids are almost mint.

So anyways, my teacher has a Scout 80. He wants everything under my scout body so he peaks my interest saying he will buy me tires for the frame, axles, shocks and drivelines that I wont be using anyways and would be hard to sell.

So we trade, I found some super swampers this weekend in Richland, so my girlfriend and I get $200 from my teacher, and we go down and pick them up.

0531081420.jpg

0602081156.jpg

0602081156a.jpg

Oh, I also forgot to say how we shackle reversed the back, now its lifted another 4''. So I need new leafs in the front because you cant reverse that.

This is it reversed

0523081141.jpg

So, as it stood before it was 5'' taller then the scout frame. So now, we lifted it another 4'', and then put 5'' of lift on it just from the tires. Still getting a 2'' body lift as well. You do the math ;)

If you would like to track my build, here is the link to the entire life of it.
http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?t=9755

I love it dude!! I wish I knew how to do all this stuff, or had the tools and money and parents that would let me, lol, I'm sure I could figure it out.

$200 on those tires!?!!? They are bald as hell from the looks of those pics!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/699705321.html theres some with decent tread. No I dont live near vegas though, lol, just a random search.

umm so like what is the finished product going to be?

This is my goal

P4220165.jpg

P4220162.jpg

Its been my inspiration for the body swap and then some.

I love it dude!! I wish I knew how to do all this stuff, or had the tools and money and parents that would let me, lol, I'm sure I could figure it out.

$200 on those tires!?!!? They are bald as hell from the looks of those pics!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/699705321.html theres some with decent tread. No I dont live near vegas though, lol, just a random search.

Well first of all its at the school because my dad wont let me bring it home. Second of all only my mom knows I own it - dad thinks its a friends project...... heh

And ya, i'm learning new things every day - I dont know much, but I learn as I go - my teacher is my hero lol

Yeah $200 bucks. See those tires you found are like a 255 series. The tires I got are like a 325 series or something like that. Simply put they're 36'' tires. Honestly, you try and find me tires that size for under $200. Not to mention I got them with rims. 5x5.5'' lug pattern....... that is a RARE pattern. Ford patterns dominate at 5x4.5'', and those are the most common. So it was really nice to find BIG tires on rims (flat black also the color I like) that will bolt right on to my project.

Yes, they're a little bald, but for as much as I will be using them, this will last more then long enough for me to get better ones. Ill be able to even resell these again and make some money back.

But where the real deal was that my teacher exhanged the tires for the parts that a worthless under the Scout that ill never use.

The things he wants for his stock Scout 80, I could never sell because they;re just that.. stock. People upgrade away from those, but those arent my teachers plans so it worked out great for both of us. I get free Super Swamper tires with almost a quarter of an inch tread............. For what I got and how I got it, I could not have found a better deal. Well, not where I live. Tires like this arent frequent over here, anywhere deals could be had is WAY to far to drive.

All in all I scored.

Yea, I'd say he made a great deal trading those leftover parts for enough money to buy those wheels and tires. Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom