To the Iphone owners

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;875176 said:
Okay so I've decided to get a 16GB Iphone for a play phone. I'm still going to keep my Tilt for work then just swap the sim when I go out. I just can't resist the larger screen and more responsive browser etc.

But I've got some questions and I know quite a few members here have the Iphone already.

1. I was in the At&t store the other day but I forgot to ask what firmware comes on the new 3G's. Are they being released with 2.2 now or what version ships with the phone.

2. I've been looking around at "Jail breaking" and want to know how your results have been and which firmware your using. Also what app did you use to Jailbreak and could you link me a reference site with instructions.

3. Now I gather I can use Itunes to download music directly to my phone. Can I also download Itunes movies to my phone also then transfer to my PC? And does the Iphone's Itunes have the radio streaming like the PC version?

4. A slight follow up to question 3 here. I have a relatively small bandwidth cap with my provider and would really like to be able to download movie's and songs directly to my Iphone through my works Wifi then transfer them to my computer at home. IE upload to say Imageshack's virtual drive then download them to my phone at work.

5. Looking for recommendations for a case. I was looking at the following combo set. Innocase II Surface Combo or the elago iPhone 3G Slim Fit Case. Any one have either of the these or what case's are you using? Also a good screen protector that keeps the screen looking glossy.

6. Good sites to download apps and widgets. I've been looking through this thread and they have some really cool setups. Where is a good site to find custom skins. I'm sure there are some references in there but I don't want to search hundreds of page's looking.

Thanks

Just got mine the other day but its a Itouch, now, my problem is it's 2nd gen 2.2 and it's so easy to jail break but yet, mine does not jail break, I keep getting error in firmware string.

Anyhow, it is easy but I think you might need to go back to 1.4 and then jailbreak it.

I have a software called dvdvideosoft, it lets you add the link in to what ever video site and auto download and convert it, very good tool.

Movies are easy to get on.

Also in the Itune store is lots of free apps.

Another one, yes, you can get radio, their are lots of radio apps.

get one man, they are worth it.

theres way more then windows mobile app wise
i mean between the app store installer cydia and the new linux os coming out soon for it

No, there isnt. THere are thousands of windows mobile apps. You need to check out xda-developers. Linux has been out on the Windows Mobile market for months. I can get it for my tilt already if I wanted too.

Thanks for the responses guys. My thoughts on a few comments...

first off
iphone is an amazing phone trust me you will soon ditch your tilt as the 3rd party support and hacking support is amazing
second
jail breaking is soooooooo easy im actuly making a guide as we speak so as soon as its done ill p/m you
3rd you can no using hacks use your iphone as a mobile internet source over 3g

I don't know if I'll ditch my Tilt altogether or not. Will see how the Iphone stacks up to my needs. Look forward to your guide.

Check out the Invisible Shield.

Thanks but I don't think I need a 2 part cover. Just something for the screen itself.

You fail man... lol, tilt is great, but I have to say, I love the multi-touch of the iphone and the amazing responsiveness... Time to step it up HTC!!

I agree the Tilt is a pretty nice phone but the thing is it fails at a few different tasks.

1. Video playback is pretty choppy. I had to reduce a video to 240X320 with a 1175Kbps bit rate and its still slightly choppy at parts.

2. I have a pile of Blu Ray digital copies that I can't put on the phone. I also can't put any digital copies from Amazon Unbox on the phone. I may be able to if I screw around long enough and edit the hell out of the video's.

3. I don't think any browser compares with the Iphones browser as of now. I use the following browsers.

Skyfire 0.8.0.7081 Overall this browser is pretty decent. It supports flash lite 3.1 and displays virtually any page just like your computer does. Since it supports the latest Flash this means I can go direct to youtube or any other site that supports Flash video's and watch them.

Trouble is the video playback is really choppy and hard to resize to full screen.

Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta (Not sure which build) This is actually my favorite browser but my build has no Wifi support. It doesn't support Flash so I use Skyfire when viewing certain sites and use this when I don't have Wifi available.

Netfront 3.5V The only thing this did not support was Flash. Wifi worked great and pretty much every page loaded correctly. I like this browser but my beta trial expired a few months ago.

Default IE Not worth talking about.

4. As far as consuming media content I installed Vtap before I got skyfire. Playback wasn't that great and the audio quality is pretty low for most of the video's. I did use the Mobile TV app on a 3 day trial and it was pretty smooth under a Wifi connection. It wouldn't work on edge without constantly buffering and costs $10 a month. I already have a $95 sat bill and I'm not paying $10 for a novelty that I won't use much. But it is superior to anything else offered.

5. Part of what sold me is the 3MP camera. It takes good shots under optimal lighting. However with the lack of flash anything less than perfect conditions results in poor shots. I've decided pretty much everything camera phone camera is worthless as a digital camera replacement.

There are probably some other things that annoy me with the phone. There are a lot of great things it does but I'm just commenting on the things I wish it did better currently.

HTC has some crazy cool phones. go check out their website :)

Yes they have some crazy cool phones that look awesome on paper but really don't do much more than my Tilt Aka HTC 8925 does now.

They do, but they are all the same for the most part...Nothing great really, the HD has a high res, and big pretty screen, but no multi-touch or anything...

I agree. The HD looks like an oversize tilt running Touchflo 3D. Which is available through XDA developers for the tilt.

noob. windows mobile had more third party support than the iphone has now, before the iphone was even released.

WM has been around the game quite a bit longer. I was actually amazed at the Iphone's support base. A lot of the WM apps are rather lack luster though. There are some great one's in the bunch but several I would qualify as a waste of space.

1. No idea... I gat my 3G the 2nd day it came out...

2. Never Jail broke my phone... with so many 3rd party apps available just done see the need 2...

3. You can download movies from app store and then store them in your Itune... I dont know about transfering it to other places, never tryed it..

4. yes u can do that, the WiFi speed is very good, I get about 1.5MB on my phone.

5. Only you can decide what case is best for you. I use something like this http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CSL4SF-H

6. I know app store haz lots of free wallpapers, never changed the skin on myne tho...

Cheers

Thanks for the input there. I'm glad I should be able to download apps through my phone then upload to my computer.

Considering the iPhone is only one phone and Windows Mobile consists of multiple phones, I'd be surprised if the iPhone has more third party development.

Despite all that, the iPhone has a very strong developer base.

Its hard to compare a company that has 2 phones vs several company's producing 20X the amount of phones. I think its irrelevant which has more. Quality is more important than quantity. And IMO quality is something that lacks on a lot of WM apps.

Just got mine the other day but its a Itouch, now, my problem is it's 2nd gen 2.2 and it's so easy to jail break but yet, mine does not jail break, I keep getting error in firmware string.

Anyhow, it is easy but I think you might need to go back to 1.4 and then jailbreak it.

I have a software called dvdvideosoft, it lets you add the link in to what ever video site and auto download and convert it, very good tool.

Movies are easy to get on.

Also in the Itune store is lots of free apps.

Another one, yes, you can get radio, their are lots of radio apps.

get one man, they are worth it.

Alright thanks but I think the Iphone's 2.2 may be slightly different than the Itouch. Thanks for the link though I'll be sure to check them out. Glad I can get some free radio. I may just use that to replace the handful of crappy stations I get around here while out and about.

theres way more then windows mobile app wise
i mean between the app store installer cydia and the new linux os coming out soon for it

I always see people talking about Cydia. Is Cydia the base for the Jailbreak? IE you get all you goodies and 3rd party stuff through them. Is winterboard the app that converts skins and icon's?

I'll call At&t today and find out which firmware the current 3g's are shipping with that way you don't write me a jailbreak guide for an incompatible version.

Thanks again for the help and insight guys. I'll spread some rep around!

:confused:

The who REALLY makes the iPhone?

Read his original post again. He isn't talking about the iPhone directly. He's comparing 3rd party software support between the iPhone and Windows mobile phones.

When he told you to get your facts straight he isn't talking about the phone itself. He's talking about the software which you said was developed by apple. 3rd party software isn't designed by apple.

Back
Top Bottom