im makin a go kart!!!1!!!

boardordi3 said:
... so i shove a jumper cable into my outlet? lol, i know how to charge a battery, but i dont know what your suggesting i do to with jumper cables lol, im not charging it out of another car

You would need a DC charger

36 volts and 500 watts will be hard to do however, alot of weight. Gas is FAR easier.

like i said FAR too expensive :p, i just wanna know a way i can get the power i need, and be able to charge it

boardordi3 said:
... so i shove a jumper cable into my outlet? lol, i know how to charge a battery, but i dont know what your suggesting i do to with jumper cables lol, im not charging it out of another car

if your using a car battery they sell car battery chargers where you can set it for either a deep cylce which is a full charge or just to start it put just as if it were from another car. they plug into the outlets. i have one myself for my car.
car-battery-charger-292103zz.jpg

here is a wirelese one but they sell ones that just plug into wall sockets.

I assume that the motors run on 12V?
if that's correct just get a couple of 12v batteries,

my advice is don't go to a scrap yard, the saving isn't substantial enough for what you're doing, and the quality is so low that you'll probably never get a full charge out of the batteries anyway.

as Ronco said, if you have car batteries, use a car battery charger, it is possible to make one, but ideally just go buy one, it's safer.

you said that you wern't using a petrol engine because it's too expensive.

but now you're looking to buy 2 car betteries, (£30 each) and a charger (£30) so you're spending ~£90 (or whatever the US equivellant is...

by the time you've spent £90 on batteries and chargers you could have gone to a scrap yard or a private sale and bought an old moped with a 50cc engine, or even a 100cc or a 125 cc engine, you'll have more power that you can shake several sticks at.

the first scrap bike I bought was an MOT failure, I bought it for £20 the engine worked perfectly (it was a 125cc) so there was plenty of power.
plus it came with everything needed, in the way of serious braking gear drive chains and all.

if you're looking for serious power, go with a real engine.
if you're looking to do it on a budget then go with a real engine.

besides which, once you've gotten old with it, you'll be able to sell a petrol kart much easier than a electric one.

just my 2c,

(it's obviously a lot easier to make an electric kart though)

A gas powered cart will also be MUCH faster. I've let a 12HP engine go for around 25 pounds.

wow We've got some old cars in our garage, maybe i shud do something like this lol sounds like fun ;)

alternativly u cud round up some stray dogs, hey presto, dog power lol.

Actually, I'd recommend the golfing carts batteries. I'd recommend you around 3-6 batts. 36V goes 3 batteries in series, and the other set in series also. You;ll need to use the parallel to connect them all, if I am not wrong.

Two 36 volt motors equals 6 12 volt batteries.

You need to remember that with 6 batteries the go cart is going to be quite heavy. Just go out and find a gas motor of some kind, it'll be cheaper, lighter and more hp. But possibly a little more complicated if you have to fix the motor and mount it and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom