I'm a little suspiciouis....

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello.

I finaly found a truck I'm going to buy. 1989 Ford F-150 crew cab. It's leaking transmission fluid, needs a new brake line, and theres a short in the steering colum, and a little body work but not too much. $300 cash and she's mine. But heres the amazing part......

......Got a Cobra Mustang engine in it! :D :D :D

Do you guys see anything with this thats not right? Seems a little too good of a deal with a Cobra engine in it. :confused:

If you guys think its worth it im picking it up next Sunday

Theres less and 100K km's on the frame, hes not sure about the engine. And yeah I know I can fix it up. How much do you guys think repairs will be?

depends how much work you're willing to do...
and how competent you are at doing that work.

I'm in the UK, I work in pounds and pence, but you'll get an idea.

right, lets look at the brake lines.
look on ebay, copper hose for brake lines, (it's not pure copper hose, don't but central heating pipe, it may look the same, it's not the same).
comes in at about perhaps ten quid for five meters, and the tools for bending the pipe and flaring it perhaps another tenner, (and you can even resell the tools when you're done!

total cost for brake line replacement, (if the leak is caused by a cracked line) about twenty quid.
put it into a garage and you can probably add at least another hundred to that.

the short in the steering line.
probably some damaged insulation.
so you could either replace the insulation with tape or heat shrink tube, or replace the wire.
total cost for DIY job = pennies,
add at least fifty to a hundred quid more for a couple of hours garage time.

you get where I'm going with this.

if you have the skills, or want to learn them, then get it, you've only got $300 to loose, and it's not like it's a million dollars, just a few hundred, and you might get a real gem.

on the other hand you might get a truck that you end up towing to a scrap yard next week. and you'll be out $300, you'll never know without trying...

on the other hand, if you don't have the skill to fix it, and aren't bothered about learning the skills to fix it, you'll put it in a garage.

your $300 truck will sit there for a day, and you'll pay a massive bill and still possibly have a shit mostly not working truck.

it really depends on whether you want to put in some hard work

It's an 89, and it's an f150....thats why it's 300 bucks. I wouldn't pay more than that for a 20 year old truck.

You sure it's a cobra motor, how do you know? The supercharged 5.0?

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to swing by Benson's (the local used auto parts shop) and price the breaklines. I think that's all I need to buy for parts, as I might be able to fix the leak in the transmission and I know I can fix the short, electrical is something im skilled at. Body work isn't too hard, I've done a lot of that with my friend on his car. I'm definately going to buy it, I like that enginee :p

As of tomorow I'm leaving on a week long canoeing trip with my dad, so if its not sold when I get back (shouldnt, its been for sale all summer and doesnt look to spectaular until you inqire about it) I'm swinging around to pick it up.

Now I just gotta learn how to drive standard, lol

EDIT: I'm not positive about the engine, I've never seen a Cobra engine before. But it sure doesnt sound stock.... I might run by and get a picture of the engine later to post here to double check that....

just another thought.
you think it's a got a special engine?

that likely means that someone at some point has thrashed the living daylight out of it.

you don't take a stock engine out and put a beast in unless you intend to do something with it!

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to swing by Benson's (the local used auto parts shop) and price the breaklines. I think that's all I need to buy for parts, as I might be able to fix the leak in the transmission and I know I can fix the short, electrical is something im skilled at. Body work isn't too hard, I've done a lot of that with my friend on his car. I'm definately going to buy it, I like that enginee :p

As of tomorow I'm leaving on a week long canoeing trip with my dad, so if its not sold when I get back (shouldnt, its been for sale all summer and doesnt look to spectaular until you inqire about it) I'm swinging around to pick it up.

Now I just gotta learn how to drive standard, lol

EDIT: I'm not positive about the engine, I've never seen a Cobra engine before. But it sure doesnt sound stock.... I might run by and get a picture of the engine later to post here to double check that....
Cobra motors say "Cobra" right on the top of the engine. If it doesn't have a supercharger, then it's not a cobra motor.

So umm yeah say hello to my first car I'm picking up the day after I get home from my trip. $300 :D

Heres a shot of the front/side:

DSCF1565.jpg

this is the most major bodywork to be done:

DSCF1566.jpg

Heres the interior:

DSCF1568.jpg

And heres the engine. Doesnt say Cobra but a little googlin' told me the Ford 5.0 EFI is in fact from a mustang:

DSCF1569.jpg

Back
Top Bottom