I'm in bit of a pickle.

Try to get in touch with the guy in a face-to-face meeting. You can get a pretty good read of whether he's going to pay you or not from there. If he's not, then think about your next move.

I've tried. He's not going to pay. His roommate said the same thing. I'm just going to go tomorrow and get the computer.

If it were up to my friends and I, we would try confronting with him first with his roommates, and tell him to pay up, and if he doesnt, say you are going to take the computer, and go get it (if possible). Or just go and take the computer if he is always avoiding you.
Since you have the bills and stuff, and you nor the "buyer" ever signed a paper for trading the computer, shouldnt it still be yours?

Okay, so if I get his roommate's permission for me to record it, it will be used in the court? I can do that no problem. He already said he will help me. I don't understand why that is. Why do cop's wire people to record to get information? I thought as long as you had it and it's legit, it can work.

Because they get a warrant to do this. You don't have one.

Since you guys never had a contract and you have all the receipts, just bring it to a small claims court. Play it safe, don't just take the computer back because that could legally bite you in the ass.

If you plan on going to court why not call the cops NOW and atleast file a claim. The cops will most likely contact this guy and atleast question him about the matter. Who knows that may be all it takes to atleast get it back from him. You have proof that you paid for the stuff and he has none that he did.

Plus you have the testimony of his roomate proving he didn't pay for it so he may just give it back to avoid having to pay for court fees and going through that whole hassle just to lose it anyways

This really sucks dude. But I would do what these people here say. Don't just take the computer as it could come back and haunt you. Just take your reciepts for the parts and take him to a small claims court. Since you don't have a contract, you may be able to take the computer back and get a possible reimbursment too. :D

Good luck.

Okay, now I have 2 pieces of paper signed by his roommate giving me permission to enter their home and another one saying he owes me money and he is a witness to that transaction.

I really would not do it if I were you. I mean, ultimately it is your choice, but if I was in your place I would be very wary. As much as I value my money, no amount of it is worth spending time in jail.

Back
Top Bottom