i hurt, somewhat like the idiot that I am...

root

Site Team
Staff member
well. I hurt...
cause that's what happens when you come off your bike,
slide across the road, mount the kurb and have your face make contact with the central barrier at around 50MPH

jean are shredded (they were nice jeans too dammit!)
coat is cut
helmet is scuffed up.
legs are cut arms are cut, face is thankfully fine (thanks to a full face helmet).

bike is in a bad way, farrings shattered, brake pedal bent, mud guard snapped, levers worn down against the road...

going out to get a little wasted now, (need something to sooth the pain!).

will post pictures tomorrow after the bleeding has stopped

root said:
face is thankfully fine

well good thing, we can't have you looking ugly:D

how this all happen? did something pop up when you were riding or you just hit something bad?

well (remember in the UK we drive on the left, so the right hand lane is the fast lane).

I was travellnig in the fast lane, on a duel carrigeway approaching a round about. I was slightly offcentre in the road towards the left of the lane, (cause it was a well rutted road) and a car approached in the slow lane, so I movde over the road to be more in the centre, or righ of centre to make sure that both he and I had enough space to be safe.

this was just before a corner.
upon which point I though, oh, I wasn't expecting to be approaching this left hand bend, and this speed whilst actually going further towards the right of the road.
so I started to slow, but then the kerb was getting closer.
the front wheel hit the kerb, the back wheen slid uot in the road debris.
the bike fell over, I fell off, skidded across the reservation a little and head first into the metal barrier.

thoughts that go through your mind in this situation.

cruising along, this is quite nice, little cold but otherwise fine, (you'd be amazed at how cold a 60MPH wind atually is!)
next thought, ahh, a car, I'll give him a bit of space, and start to slow fo this roundabout. (as a not the rounabout was light controlled, so I wouldn't have needed to give way).
nxet thought, wooo, this is going to be tight
next thought, woooooooo, this is giong to be really tight
next thuoght, this aint happennig, I'm gonna have to hold on tight and bounce up the kerb
next thought, what happened to the back
next thought, shit (as the bike toppled)
next thought, ouch (as I skidded)
next thought, argh (as the barrier approached)
next thought, ouch
next thought, right, I'm ok, now to kill the bikes engine and rescue it from the road.
next thought, I don't much fancy riding the next ~20 miles home just yet, I'll call up a friend and see if I can go to their house for a cup of tea.

I mean it's pretty much entierly my fault, I should have been more careful/alert/switched on to what I was doing.

eh, anyway, whilst I'm fnie, chippa and quite upbeat abuot this, RTA's arn't funny, I could have kiled myself, so if anyone else has thoughts of copying me and throwing themselves off their vehichle into a crash barrier at somewhere aroudf 40 - 50mph, it really hurts, so just don't do it

ouchy wah wah lol. well thats good your okay, i mean you could of been easily ran over so good thing that didn't happen.

but yes going 60 mph gets very cold. when i race in the summer in pennsylvania, the mountains hide the sun and i race on one track there thats in a valley. so during the day its about 80-90 degrees but once the sun goes down, it quickly drops to about 60, now with an open cockpit doing an average of 80-100 mph, well lets just say your hands get stuck on the wheel lol.

with the bike crash though, i remember when i was little me and my friends would purposely wreck haha.

glad to see your ok man. Would have been soo much worse had you not been wearing that helmet.

Yeah, no way I'd wear anything BUT a full face, I even wear one when I race my car. Sounds rough but I guess you're alright if you came here to share with us and spelled everything correctly. ;)

Back
Top Bottom