Hows my book report 1-10? Comments please

allenn812

Daemon Poster
Take it like a man is an autobiography by George O'dowd. It was published in 1995 but was written between 1986 and 1995. The book is 483 pages long, and every page is as interesting as the next. The book starts out about him explaining his early life. When he was a baby, he was often mistaken as a girl, and his mother used to take offense, and yell that he was indeed a boy. As i young child, he wasn't your normal kid. He hated everything a normal boy would do. He hated sports, he hated boy clothes, he also hated the ruff housing that most young boys do. He was more interest in woman's clothes, and enjoyed digging around his moms closet. While is brothers were outside playing sports, he would come outside dressed in his mothers clothes, prancing around the yard. He absolutely dreaded school, where he was teased constantly. After a while he learned from his mom not to care what other people thought, and started to go to school in his moms shoes and clothes, but was immediately sent home. He always loved music, and after school would listen to his moms records for hours. He soon began listening to his brothers David Bowie albums, and loved them. He would soon become a life long Bowie fan. As a teen, most of his friends where girls. Whom he attended many Bowie concerts with. He soon became a "punk", dressing up in dark clothes, with pins on his jackets and crazy hair. He would regularly visit clubs, even though he wasn't of age. He met more and more people like him, and had a fairly large group of friends. When he was 17, George was introduced to Peter Robinson, known as "Marilyn" by everyone, because of his obsession with Marilyn Monroe, and often dressed like her. Marilyn would become Georges best friend, and are still friends to this day. As George reached his late teens, he was introduced to DJing, and started Djing at a local club. George would also sometimes sing too, and because of that, was noticed by the band Bow Wow Wow. George would stay with the band for 6 months. Mikey Craig, a regular at the club George attended, and a bass player, liked Georges voice and charisma and asked George to join. George, already sick of the way Bow Wow Wow was going agreed, and left Bow Wow Wow. Mikey and George immediately began looking for a drummer and guitar player. George new of a guy that was popular in the punk scene, who was a drummer. His name was John Moss, George asked John Moss if he would like to join the band. John agreed, and the search for a guitar player began. They held auditions, many showed up, but they settled on Roy Hay who was an aspiring Guitarist. That was the beginning of the long and hugely successful band, Culture Club. They went to many record companies, and finally were signed by Virgin Records. George and John would soon developed a relation ship that was hid from the public though out the bands career because Virgin thought he would hurt hamper the bands success if people knew George was gay. Even though it was blantently obvious. There first album, Kissing to be Clever was was a huge success, spawning 2 number 1 hits in the UK, and one number 3. It was the first Album since the beatles to have 3 top ten hits. There second Album Color By Numbers, was an even bigger hit, the album was number 1 in many countries, and went on to become on the the biggest selling albums of the 80s. The biggest hit of there's, Karma Chameleon, was number one in the UK for 3 weeks, and the single alone sold millions. But during there peak, George and johns relationship started to turn sour, and George began to experiment with drugs, even though he was a outspoken anti drug artist. That is when the band slowly began to fall apart. There third album was rushed to keep the interest of culture club alive. But because it was rushed, and because the many arguments of George and john, the album didn't have the same catchy and powerful songs that the previous albums had, and sales weren't anywhere near as high as the previous album. It only spawned one top ten hit, and quickly fell off the charts. By that time, George was getting deeper and deeper into drugs, and began to experiment with harder drugs. Ecstasy soon became his drug of choice, and the fact that his best friend Marilyn did Ecstasy did too didn't help. Culture Club decided to take a break, and during that time George spent much of his time at Clubs, spending his time with other Ecstasy using people. He would spend thousands of dollars on drugs for him and whoever was around at the time. It wasn't long before he tried the extremely addictive drug heroin. George was now a full blown drug addict. In a effort to regain the popularity Culture Club once had, they fired there producer, and hired a new more well known one. Unlike there previous Reggae Pop Albums, they decided to make a dance album. Making the album was a slow process, mainly because George was always to high to sing. He would sometimes take days to get the vocals to the songs. By this point George and John were pretty much broken up, and fights were common between them. When the album was finally released it was praised as "Culture Clubs come back album" because of its first single, "Move Away" was quickly rising in the charts. The song would reach number 12, and Culture Club seemed to be back in the spotlight. There next single, "God Thank you Woman", which George wrote because of the pressure of Mikey and Roy to write a song about women, because they weren't gay. The song wasn't a hit, and neither was the rest of the released singles from that album. George quit the band because he could no longer work with his ex-lover. He was soon full blown addicted to heroin, and couldn't live without it. Soon his weight began to plummet, and he actually went to an anti drug concert high on heroin, and looking a complete mess. His parents were very worried, and urged George to enter rehab, which he refused. Shortly after, one of his friends died in his mansion of a heroin overdose, but George still didn't have the strength to quit. Georges next album entitled "Sold", was a success, mostly because of the single "Everything I Own", which reached Number 1 on the UK Charts. His next single, the title track "Sold" didn't do as well, and George took a break from singing. After much talking to from his parents, George finally entered rehab. George finally rid him self of drug addiction. During this time he was introduced to Krishna, a popular religion in India, and flew to India with some of his Krishna friends. There he wrote one of his most popular songs, "Bow Down Mister". The end of the book is George explaining what he's learned from the past, and how he's grateful he lived through it. Also that writing the book was the ultimate therapy for him. Overall, i would highly recommend the book to anyone, even non Boy George fans. The book is extremely engrossing, and i would read it for hours at a time. Through out the book, George is blantently honest, you wont find any sugar coating in this book. George tells you how it was, he wasn't hiding anything from the readers. How he went from a teenage punk, to an androgynous superstar, to a drug addict, and now free of drugs and happy with his life.

lol seeee, i told you, everyones posting ther essays :p

8 because the structures good, but you need more... i dont even know what i mean, um feeling? maybe
but what do i know, i have a D+ in english :)

Lmao, when i saw you posted, i was like wtf? I know he didn't read it that fast! So how is it? Ill give rep!

lol it explains in very great detail good job on that, the grammar seems mostly correct, and i like the way it is told
oh btw, have you ever heard of.. paragraphs? lmao :p its easier to read with them fyi :)

Yeah, if you want a decent book report, space them out

Did you teacher specify a format like 5 paragraphs etc?

Actually no, honestly, shes the worst teacher that ever graced this earth. This week alone, we've done 2 days of "So whats going on in the news latly" talks. UGH!

indent to begin with lol, paragraph, underline or italicize the book title. what grade are you in?

You want to really recognise a crap teacher? Sure:

A math teacher that is not even math teacher. Engineering teacher.

Writes notes on the board and expect us to understand it. Gets help from an actual math teacher. The most weird part is that I passed the year.

Back
Top Bottom