Hobby as work is great....right?

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I work as a Tech Coordinator for a school. I spend all day dealing with technology. Here's my setup at home:

An old Wal-Mart bought Acer Desktop (probably 2006-ish), Single Core x64 AMD process, 3 GB ram, running Win7. Connected to a flat screen TV via HDMI cable from a 256 Gb Video Card.

No cable or DVR - only an antenna. I cancelled cable because it costs too much and there is too much junk on.

So all day I focus on technology and then go home and am totally anti-technology. I just spend all day working on computers that when I get home it's the last thing I want to do.

People always say if you can get paid to do your hobby then that's great. But if your hobby because your work, then it's not really a hobby any more and you will have to find a new hobby to fullfill your needs.

When I was working I found this as well - really liked to just do outdoors-y bits and suchlike, didn't like to spend loads of time coding. Now I'm back doing a PhD, interestingly I don't find it so much; I'm quite happy to go home and code working on something a bit different. I guess it's two fold - firstly the divide between working and not is a bit more skewed, and secondly I often need to be to get things done!

Still like a nice outdoors break every so often though :)

Still like a nice outdoors break every so often though :)

Thus the reason I own a camper and have a permanent camping spot that we go to every weekend (rain or shine) where I leave the cell in the camper and there is no wifi :)

That's why I don't work in IT as my full-time job. I like stopping in really whenever I want at the shop to pick up some hours or help out when they are busy. I didn't want to ruin my passion for fixing computers.

Whhhaaattt???

I have been tinkering with computers (PC > Mac) for 15 years now. For the longest time I stayed away from IT jobs because of the above stated, but man o man, I finally got a job in IT and I freaking love it! I am learning something new every single day. When you run the IT department for an organization with 800 users, you get the weirdest problems with the wackiest solutions. Things you never thought possible happen every single day. When I come home, I am a little burnt out on tech, but I find time each week to do something on my home PC.

If you get bored of your hobby until the point it becomes "work", then you need to find a new hobby.

[

Last edited by a moderator:
iPwn said:
Whhhaaattt???

I have been tinkering with computers (PC > Mac) for 15 years now. For the longest time I stayed away from IT jobs because of the above stated, but man o man, I finally got a job in IT and I freaking love it! I am learning something new every single day. When you run the IT department for an organization with 800 users, you get the weirdest problems with the wackiest solutions. Things you never thought possible happen every single day. When I come home, I am a little burnt out on tech, but I find time each week to do something on my home PC.

Throw in a wife and a son and I just don't have the time unless I wanna stay up after everyone goes to sleep but at that point I'm so tired the only thing I wanna do is chill out in front of the tv for an hour and then go to sleep. LOL

Throw in a wife and a son and I just don't have the time unless I wanna stay up after everyone goes to sleep but at that point I'm so tired the only thing I wanna do is chill out in front of the tv for an hour and then go to sleep. LOL

Wife and two sons here, ages 7 & 2. My trick? After my combat tour, I never adjusted back to needing 8 hours of sleep. I usually wake up at 5:30am and go to bed anywhere from midnight to 1. Weekends are a different story. Saturdays usually carry a 3pm wakeup time.

Ah well, you've got it better than me. I'm in bed by 9 or 10 everynight. If I do stay up till 11, I usually pay for it the next day. It's weird too cuz I used to be a night owl and could function fine on 4 or 5 hours of sleep, but since the kid came, those days seem to be over.

Back
Top Bottom