Here's a question

My brix are all over the place and my ass hurts. Thelis is back??

Personally, i'd get CCleaner ran on there (Registry + Delete files), sort MSConfig out to stop unnecessary programs running on start up, open the side up and hoover dem dust up. Analyse defrag and see if it's feasible within the time limit to run a defrag. Virus scan the most at risk directories.

Can't really think right now. Rough night last night, thought i'd ring up some discussion here

Yea it's actually hard to explain what you'd do on spot. I'm better when i actually have the problem in front of me and i need to solve it.

It wholly depends on the computer, and the specific system / situation...

The last one I had, the laptop was that slow, it took 15 minutes to wait to get the computer to boot up!

Ended up removing the infected files (800+), cleaning up unused icons on the desktop. Opening up msconfig, and getting it back to 'barebones'. Running CCCleaner, and giving the person (I did it infront of them at their place) an overview of the do's and dont's. Got them firefox, removed toolbars etc etc etc, and showed them how to use firefox!

I asked them and all they do on the computer was word and the internet. In this instance I think hardware wouldnt fall into it specifically, just to tailor the users needs.

If it wasnt purely things like above, I would probably do a fresh installation of the OS System. Depends on how much the user is expecting, or paying, or what the system state is in. Generally speaking wouldnt overclock.

You've got an hour to go to a client's house and do something, speed wise, temps wise, noise wise. That a client would perceive as worth paying for

Sorry Thelis, don't know ya so I'm not gonna pretend to, err welcome back. But anyway, nice avatar, I can only imagine what it implies lmao.

If I had a half hour to work on someones comp I would do the basic,
MSconfig, Startup and Services, remove non-essential Microsoft services from starting as well. Run CCleaner, download Google Chrome, Remove some things through the registry (other hidden startup items) and start the deffragler for the customer. If I had an hour I would clean out the computer, Run Comodo AV and Malwarebytes, install Comodo Firewall, uninstall Comodo AV and install AVG for the customer. Then give them a run down of how to effectively monitor activity on their computer to ensure that it's consistent with proper usage (kids downloading spyware etc.)

Half an hour:
  • Windows Update
  • Virus Update
Hour:
All the above and....
  • Virus scan
  • CCleaner
  • Defrag

The Windows Update and the Virus Update will not optimize the computer's speed.

The Virus scan will look for malware, but again if the customer does not have any it's just a waste of time.

CCleaner and Defrag are good choices.

Optimizing- I would Defrag and Disk Cleanup. Quick Virus Scan (Again, whatever your favorite one is) and CCleaner would help depending on the computers speed.

Optimizing- Most likely a virus scan (Avast,AVG,Malawarebytes, whatever you prefer) Disk Cleanup Defragment. Pretty much the same as the other one.

Again, I think running a Virus Scan is a waste of time. CCleaner would help, I agree.

Personally, i'd get CCleaner ran on there (Registry + Delete files), sort MSConfig out to stop unnecessary programs running on start up, open the side up and hoover dem dust up. Analyse defrag and see if it's feasible within the time limit to run a defrag. Virus scan the most at risk directories.

He has the right idea.

Ended up removing the infected files (800+), cleaning up unused icons on the desktop. Opening up msconfig, and getting it back to 'barebones'. Running CCCleaner, and giving the person (I did it infront of them at their place) an overview of the do's and dont's. Got them firefox, removed toolbars etc etc etc, and showed them how to use firefox!

This guy too, it's what I would do if there was no time for a reformat.

If I had a half hour to work on someones comp I would do the basic,
MSconfig, Startup and Services, remove non-essential Microsoft services from starting as well. Run CCleaner, download Google Chrome, Remove some things through the registry (other hidden startup items) and start the deffragler for the customer. If I had an hour I would clean out the computer, Run Comodo AV and Malwarebytes, install Comodo Firewall, uninstall Comodo AV and install AVG for the customer. Then give them a run down of how to effectively monitor activity on their computer to ensure that it's consistent with proper usage (kids downloading spyware etc.)

Right idea, but don't understand why you would download Chrome to a customer's computer. Their choice of browser is a personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom