help me convince my parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuNkY

In Runtime
I need a little help convincing my parents to get internet. I current share internet with the neighbor above me, which is cool but he already uses ports 80, 8080, and 3389. Its annoying cause I would like to have those ports forwarded to my server, and I'm getting sick of the lag cause of wireless, and him download movies.

My parents really do not what to get internet cause of price and hassle of getting it. We don't even have a phoneline, just cell phones.

Just need some suggestions on how I can convince them. You know the internet is 1 of the most important things of life haha:D

Are you still in highschool? or are you off to college?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes, and you still live at home (which it sounds like you do) tell them you'll need it for researching school projects.

i convinced my mom to get internet in 6th grade by writing "internet reasearch" on the requirments list for our school.

I don't know how effective we'll be in convincing your parents, I mean granted your position you probably have the best reasons for getting internet, and if you can't think of the reasons we have, they obviously don't apply to you.

The internet is an important resource for school research though as stated previously, and it's also just another form of entertainment that the entire family can enjoy with streaming videos and everything.

Internet is a tool for everyone, it'll really help out your family with a lot of things, ordering things online, managing accounts, getting maps, it just makes life a whole lot convenient, and you really only realize that when you move from not having it to having it.

Verizon DSL really isn't that expensive anymore either, 15 dollars a month for a 768k connection is great IMO.

My first experience with internet was a 56K connection using Netscape Navigator, fun times, fun times. I was like.. 7. :D

Wait, does your neighbor know about this internet leeching?
Yes. He gave me his WPA password.

Anyways, school would be a good reason but on the list we get every year it says "if you do not have a computer or internet access the public library is a good source for internet school research". So thats out.

I was thinking of bringing up my job, since I current am a ASP programmer. But I know shes going to say that I already have internet access from my friend. I really want my own connection that I have control over. Something my mom will not understand lol :p

Any other suggestions that don't involve the school and job part?

WOuld having your neighbor lie to your mom and say that he is noticing too much of a slowdown and wants you off work?

Either of your parents like to cook? It is amazing how many free, GOOD, recipies you can find on the net. My dad has gotten quite a few just by using google and typing things like "Grilling chicken".

It's not much, but maybe if you play into their interests and how it helps them you'll be able to get some Internet at home.

Yes. He gave me his WPA password.

Anyways, school would be a good reason but on the list we get every year it says "if you do not have a computer or internet access the public library is a good source for internet school research". So thats out.

I was thinking of bringing up my job, since I current am a ASP programmer. But I know shes going to say that I already have internet access from my friend. I really want my own connection that I have control over. Something my mom will not understand lol :p

Any other suggestions that don't involve the school and job part?

Okay, good. If he didn't, you would be in very deep shit.

DSL isn't too expensive and AT&T offers both phone and high-speed internet services for a reasonable price.

I'm thinking of telling them that I can download more movies for them. I already burned a few DVDs for them. So hopefully that will make them get it. I'm crossing my fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom