Hello

chris_ansell_21

Beta member
Hey there
My name is Chris, and i am working on an assignment for CIT (Otago Polytechnic), and i am interested in this forum, and so far the information i have read up on has been very useful.

:)

Thank you for all the replies, your're all a welcoming bunch of people :)- must say spam is not for me- The food, and the junk :p.

One thing i am finding difficult is: How do i delete my account? For the purposes of the assignment i am doing, i need to know how to sign onto a forum, post comments, and delete my account (Not that i intend to delete this account, from all the posts i've read, i think i want to stick around)

One thing i am finding difficult is: How do i delete my account? For the purposes of the assignment i am doing, i need to know how to sign onto a forum, post comments, and delete my account (Not that i intend to delete this account, from all the posts i've read, i think i want to stick around)

You can't delete the account, you just don't post.

There's a good reason for things being this way. The problem with deleting accounts on forums in general is what to do with the old posts. If a user hasn't made any posts I guess it's ok, but that's a bit of a niche case!

If you delete the account then you open up the possibility of someone registering the same name as the deleted user, in which case the new user is associated with all the posts for the old user. You'd have to rename all the old user's posts in some way - but then they wouldn't reflect the initial username of the person who wrote them which you might want to preserve for a variety of reasons. You could of course bar that username from being used again and keep things as they are, but in that case what's the point of deleting the account?

There's a couple of situations similar to this that are perfectly legal though. The first is that the user simply stops posting, leaving the account there but just inactive. The second is when a moderator comes along and locks / bans the account, for example if it's purely a spam account or a member has been misbehaving.

Both methods leave the account in place, just inactive (though in the first situation obviously it can be "re-activated" at any time!

Back
Top Bottom