A hard lesson learned.

Sinonymous

In Runtime
Well I sold the RM125 and bought a KX125. It looked like it was in good shape and I was happy about the buy. So I filled the radiator up noticing it was empty. So I went riding on it, it felt clean and was a very smooth ride. But when I was putting around on the bike, it stopped aruptly and died. Thinking it was a stall so I tried kicking it over. The kick start didnt move. I knew what this meant immediately: engine lock. So I rolled the bike to the garage pull it apart. It was next to impossible to get the head off. But I did and this is what I found:
bikepics-2023779-full.jpg
and the scattered metal chipped up the crankshaft. So from my guess and the fact that there was water in the cylinder and the gaskets were ate up, is that the water steamed in the engine and caused the piston to shatter. My hard lesson learned learned today was take the time to tear apart the engine and check gasket seals after buying a two stroke vehicle before you ride it and to save your bike from looking like mine minus the bottom end of the engine:
bikepics-2023778-full.jpg

Ouch... You have a shop near by that can take 10 thousandths off the crank? Then get some undersized bearings, bore out the cylinder, new piston, rod, and rings. Good to go. Good as new! lol

Yeah. My dad's friend has a shop that I'm allowed to use so it should be put together sometime next week. we planed on boring it 10 over.

That might do it. Usually people go 30 over on engine rebuilds though I thought. May as well, depends how deep the scratches are.

On race bike they like going that high, idk why though... Friends of mine who race only go that high on their 4 strokes.

I've never heard of a boring 30 over on a 2 stroke, but that could be that no one around here does it. I have heard of that on a 4 stroke, but you have to make sure that it's cooled sufficiently.

My bad, I'm half asleep. I meant 2 stroke race bikes, they dont go 30 over due to off-the-line issues. My friends with 4 strokes go 30 over to keep up with 2 strokes... At least until they buy the new 2011 KFX250's that are fuel injected.

Back
Top Bottom