Got 2 cases from garbage

lhuser

Golden Master
One of them looked AT, but in fct is ATX, and actually is a modern thing almost! Removable mobo tray :p It has a sticker saying what was inside. Specs were as follows:
Intel 440LX (Kootenay based boards...POSes)
2.5GB HDD
Celeron 266
CD Drive
Made in 1998

I will have a K6-II 500 in there. I have the stuffs.

The second one is an identical case to one I have. It came with a ASUS TuV4X. It's chipset is a VIA Apollo Pro 133...but something fried, because I looked at the bottom of the PSU and looks fried. Kinda grease mixed with dust. The case was kinda yellowish, so the user probably smoked. Oh well, I'll throw in a Celeron 900 and try it out. Out of 4 RAM banks, two are usable. The first is missing a white retention at the bottom and so is the third, but the third is broken, so I can't put another one. I ain't going to play with a 168-pin soldering.

The case is a doorless wonder and looks really in bad condition, but I don't know for the board...definatelly won't power up with the PSU it came with (300W with lots of dust, and the other case has a 235W).

If it does power up, looks like I'll grab a Tualatin Celeron or PIII.

Another mans trash is another mans treasure eh?:D

It seems like your always finding sweet things in the trash lhuser:p

Yeah well today's not so lucky. I've found that the RAM sticks aren't detected in any banks, only to find out that two of four RAM banks were fried and a bit of RAM still stuck in the bank. I managed to remove it and now, it doesn't boot...well, I can hear a popping noise here and there, but that's it. Too good to be true.

Count this as a bump.

The motherboard is now alive. Reason being, the broken RAM slot was the only one working. So, out of 4 banks, 1 is okay. The others have problems, and one is completely unusable.

I should go look for a Tualatin.

Back
Top Bottom