It was the giant asteroid after all!

Raffaz said:
I think thats what will happen to us aswell. Unless we wipe ourselves out with nuclear weapons before that
Funny you should say that, yep, another theory that says we're l-o-o-n-g overdue for another, also there are several asteroids, big, but nowhere the size of that monster, out in deep space, heading in our general direction, also, in the last two years there have two near misses by astrononomical standards, "only" 20 million miles outside the solar system, they called them grazes!!

Brookfield said:
Funny you should say that, yep, another theory that says we're l-o-o-n-g overdue for another, also there are several asteroids, big, but nowhere the size of that monster, out in deep space, heading in our general direction, also, in the last two years there have two near misses by astrononomical standards, "only" 20 million miles outside the solar system, they called them grazes!!

Yeah ive heard about that stuff before. Its got to happen sooner or later hasnt it. Its happened before. Didnt know they called them grazes, if they get closer do they call them cuts etc lol

Ð88 said:
why PM? discuss here! I think that's pretty amazing and little disheartening to come to realization that it could just as easily happen again. Armageddon anyone? But you know scientists have faith that they will one day be able to clone a dinosaur with the right sample of dinosaur fossils (which i find a little hard to believe because any of the fossils found are not really bones at all but simply rock due to the effects of time but you never know).
I suggested PM's 'cos, even these days some think it's a weird subject.

That must have been some impact too. but if you think about amount of fossil fules extracted from the earth, one must conclude that the dinosaurs must have ruled the earth for millions on years.

anyways, it's scary to think that one day earth can be clobbered by another one, since nature seems to follow a cycle or pattern.right now as you read this..astronomer's are tracking every meteor and comet that swing close to us, and every object that have a blue shift..meaning it's moving towards us. a red shift mean it's moving away.

~mr mixx~ said:
right now as you read this..astronomer's are tracking every meteor and comet that swing close to us

exactly. Though sometimes their movement is unpredictable we will still know months ahead if an asteroid is going to hit earth. And seriously, with the technology we will have in a few years I believe we would find a way to survive, most likely by destroying the asteroid.

mammikoura said:
exactly. Though sometimes their movement is unpredictable we will still know months ahead if an asteroid is going to hit earth. And seriously, with the technology we will have in a few years I believe we would find a way to survive, most likely by destroying the asteroid.

i do believe we have the technology to at least alter in in some way at least, if you ever saw the movie Armageddon, it was very difficult to destroy because meteor's like that are made from iron cores of stars that have exploded, so blowing up pure iron is not easy.

~mr mixx~ said:
i do believe we have the technology to at least alter in in some way at least, if you ever saw the movie Armageddon, it was very difficult to destroy because meteor's like that are made from iron cores of stars that have exploded, so blowing up pure iron is not easy.

some are iron or other metals, some are mostly stone. Blowing up won't be easy, but I'd imagine a huge explosion like 20 (well depends how big it is) meters below the surface would atleast break a huge chunk off of it. And then several of those and we could destroy it, or at least make sure that it doesn't hit as 1 big asteroid, which would be very deadly. And the technology is there, a big nuclear bomb combined with the bunker buster technology might do the trick. Normal bunker buster bombs can go through many meters of reinforced concrete.

Brookfield said:
sixty, or six hundred million years, not sure which.

yeah, it must have been along long time, concidering the amount of fossil fules we go though each year, and i bet dollars to dounuts that the more oil we extract from the deep deposits will have some sort of effect of the ground above. sort of like if you extract dirt from a hole, eventually the sides become weak and soil falls from the sides into the hole.

meaning, leaving empty space where the oil was..it will cause implosion, which will cause an earthquake or at least landmass to go down in level.

Well I wouldn't worry about the asteroid hitting the earth and wiping us out, even our great great great grandchildren won't be around to see it. It'll be millions more years before it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom