Which generation are you?

Why do the years of "Generation Jones", "X", "XY" and "Y" overlap each other?

Because they're not hard and fast. Each Generation is known for different things--which can determine which classification in which one would be. Gen Jones is a fairly new concept. Before then, Gen Jonesers were classified as either Baby Boomers or Xers.

For example, on this humorous website:
http://www.deanolsher.com/2009/02/how-you-know-youre-generation-jones.html
"You're Generation Jones if you're intimately familiar with the videos that appeared on MTV in 1981 and 1982 and can name all the early VJs...if you had a Flatsy Doll; if you argued over the Jackson 5 vs. The Osmonds..."

Because they're not hard and fast. Each Generation is known for different things--which can determine which classification in which one would be. Gen Jones is a fairly new concept. Before then, Gen Jonesers were classified as either Baby Boomers or Xers.

For example, on this humorous website:
http://www.deanolsher.com/2009/02/how-you-know-youre-generation-jones.html
"You're Generation Jones if you're intimately familiar with the videos that appeared on MTV in 1981 and 1982 and can name all the early VJs...if you had a Flatsy Doll; if you argued over the Jackson 5 vs. The Osmonds..."

Interesting, thanks for the info!

I guess this makes me an X, XY

Generation XY is the cusp generation between Gen X and Y. However some people might feel more connected to either Gen X or Gen Y instead, and that is fine too. XY is the last generation to have grown up with things like VHS, cassettes, and records, and can appreciate the the shift in the changing culture more than other generations, after the transition to digital. However many (or most) Gen Yers and even some Zers have also seen the transition from analogue media to digital, because those analogue techs held on for a long time. Gen XY is also the first to grow up with Personal Computers in the home.

Gen Yers are known as the "first digitals". Gen Zers are known as "digital natives". The deciding difference between Gen Y and Z, is not so much about birth year--which is actually disputed. The reason is that generations (not including transitional ones like Gen XY) tend to be roughly 20 yrs in length. However in recent years it seems to be speeding up. Originally Gen Y was defined to end at 2001, for convenience sake. Now more people say that the ending date is more mid to late 1990s. The deciding factor is more which events that you can remember, and whether you consider yourself to be a "first digital" or a "digital native". If you can clearly remember 9/11, which is a defining event for Gen Y, then you're a Gen Y. If you can't remember, or barely remember a world without modern digital technology like the Internet or iPods, then you're Gen Z. If you can clearly remember the collapse of the Soviet Union, East Germany, etc., then you are Generation X or XY.

As for bands, Gen Y is associated with things like the Spice Girls, NSync, the Backstreet Boys; whereas Gen Z is more Hannah Montana, the Jonas Brothers, etc.

heh... i remember when there was no internet, i personally find it hard to believe some people dont know what its like to not have technology, but they wernt even born yet so....ya...lol

I just can imagine life with Tech around you ur hole life, it would be hard to appreciate it all...

Late Gen Y and Gen Z are also associated with emo.

Some think that a difference will emerge between Y's and Z's, because of difference in the parenting styles that they had to endure.

Most Y's were raised by Baby Boomer/Jones parents. Some had late Silent Generation parents, and some had early Gen Xer parents. For Gen Z, there will be more Gen Xers as parents.

I fall quite nicely into Gen Y ('86).

However, I feel like I'm more likely an XY-er as a lot of people tell me I'm very 'old' for my age. I've even have people tell me I am an 'old soul'.

However, I feel like I'm more likely an XY-er as a lot of people tell me I'm very 'old' for my age. I've even have people tell me I am an 'old soul'.

lol me to, ppl usually think um about 6 or so years older then i am haha

It's not really about how old you are/how old you're perceived. It's about what experiences shaped you. If it were just about age, I'd be an XYZ, since people have a very hard time guessing how old I am.

Back
Top Bottom