Freezing A hard drive

h25520062

In Runtime
Alright everyone has had a harddrive that clicks and made noise untill it just died. I have a hard drive that only clicks when I try to install somthing (windows,java,mozzila,linux,whatever) . I have heard that you can put your hard drive in a normal freezer, just put it in for like an hour or so and then plug it in and the click should stop and then it should last for a few hours. So I put the hard drive in my freezer for like 4-5 hours and then notice its all icy and then once I plug it in and it starts running warming up and its wet I was not sure if was going to short out or somthing but I hung in there and tried to install linux. and it gets farther than it did and then i hear the clicking. Has any one heard of this freezing hard drive? or anyway to fix a clicking hard drive?

thanks for that article i didnt think of putting it in for longer ill let you guys know if it works.

h25520062 said:
Alright everyone has had a harddrive that clicks and made noise untill it just died. I have a hard drive that only clicks when I try to install somthing (windows,java,mozzila,linux,whatever) . I have heard that you can put your hard drive in a normal freezer, just put it in for like an hour or so and then plug it in and the click should stop and then it should last for a few hours. So I put the hard drive in my freezer for like 4-5 hours and then notice its all icy and then once I plug it in and it starts running warming up and its wet I was not sure if was going to short out or somthing but I hung in there and tried to install linux. and it gets farther than it did and then i hear the clicking. Has any one heard of this freezing hard drive? or anyway to fix a clicking hard drive?
Consider this: Metal and wet will eventually equal to rust, which is not wanted. It will also short. Freezing the HDD won't really do it. The fact of a clicking HDD is that air between handle and disk being gone. The hand will be magnetised and damage will occur.

Well I would figure that he IS replacing that drive but doesnt want to loose any info, so that damaging that drive in the long run wont matter.

imguessingurgay said:
Well I would figure that he IS replacing that drive but doesnt want to loose any info, so that damaging that drive in the long run wont matter.
your name amuses me :p

There's only one thing: If you have a firmware corrupted HDD, like one of mine, freesing it won't do anything. The only last hope is flash the firmware.

i've never heard about that before. what person thought of the idea of putting a hard drive in the freezer anyway?

Back
Top Bottom