Forums continually being hacked? Need some help from forum gurus

superman22x

Golden Master
I'm not talking about this forum, but 2 other forums I browse, www.chitownracing, and www.corral.net are getting hacked quite frequently. Then when I open the website, it will come up as a reported attack site. This forum doesn't seem to have that problem. Maybe just because it's smaller, but I don't know about that. Both those forums are running VB4 as well. Any idea why they would be continually attacked, and anything that can be done? Not sure if you can see any problems by just looking at the websites or not.

Yeah, the admins aren't using strong passwords, and they're not keeping the systems up to date. It's not hard to keep the nasties out, but you do have to be proactive about it.

Well it could be a number of vunerabilities, the server its self could be unsecured, open ports etc, the vbulletin admin passwords themselves could be compromised, mysql could be unsecured allowing a direct connection, there could be CGI scripts open to explotation

Ok, thanks, I'll pass this on.

og, did you look at the forum and can tell they aren't keeping up to date? They have the same version of Vbullitin as here though. And we were really behind on that here for awhile with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom