First car.... Which is best??

kyleman999

Daemon Poster
so I have just turned 17 in December... and got my lisence in October.
In june ill be graduating from highschool, and ill be going to a vocational school in which i would need some sort of transportation.

I have around 3g saved up so far in my savings. And im starting to look around for cars to buy.

Right now im most intrested in buying a 94-97 Volkswagon golf 4dr.
NO DIESEL, and manual transmission would be a big plus. If you guys have any other suggestions for a good reliable first car to have id like to hear it.

I found some 94-97 golfs, with around 160-180,000 clicks on them for around 2200$-3000$ CND

.... decent price??

as much as I LOVED my 96 Jetta...for a first car its kinda rough...they tend to break down more then desired hahaha...to put it nicely...I actually just recently dropped mine for an 07 Mazda 3...but I know this is your first car...ummm well i mean if your hearts set on it ill tell you a couple things to watch out for...also check out www.vwvortex.com

tranny can have issues...
the 2.0 block is built with desiel in mind so thats strong as SHI* so thats ok...
the 2.0 is NOT a fast car...but with a little work it can be agile as hell...

any specific questions PM me or go to that forum...that is the best VW forum on the web...

for the moment im not terribly intrested in how FAST IT GOES, i mean, right now i have my parents mercury villager... haha, it has amazing handling for a van i must say but its to big and it drives like boat when you turn stop or accel.

i was looking at this car acctualy.
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=24890941&pgno=2&srt=1

Im also trying to find one that wasnt previously owned by someone my age, because i know for a fact that if someone like me. around 17 years old, will drive this car very hard. I want to abuse it myself :) hahah but im not that bad. Right now i have 2 demerit points left to get on my lisence before i loose it. so i have to drive causiously.

anyways, im just looking for a semi-reliable first car to get me from point A to B... and dosent look like a piece of crap lol.

its clean Ill give it that...

and you have a very diserable back window lol...no holes for the wing that comes on all US one hahaha

other wise known as CL glass hahaha

nice car the on in the link , i wouldnt spend too much money on your first car as you would be a bit dissapointed if you spent a lot of money and then crashed or damged it

i agree with muz397, about all of my friends destroyed their first car, that included me, and i put a hell of a lot of work and money into it. What i would do is get something reliable and somewhat cheap, like a honda. My dad's business has 4 hondas, used as currier cars two have over 200,000 miles on em and the other 2 have over 300,000 miles. All of them run great. I took my 1990 integra into a guard rail at 50 miles per hour, backward, and i didn't get so much as a scratch, got my bearings a bit, and drove that sucker home, too bad the frame was bent. Man those are quality built cars.

the VW you posted if you treat it well and maintain it properly they have been known to get over 500,000kms...check out some of the posts on that forum I posted...but as you are 17 (I am 20, i know what your going to do hahaha) your not going to be able to maintain it and service it 100% of the time after you beat on the car like I did and like most teens do...

you also have to consider the cost of replacement parts for a VW. I don't know about up in canada, maybe there are tons of vw's. you might consider something made by ford gm or chrysler, as they tend to be a lot less expensive for repairs!

but good luck on whatever you decide to get

Most cars will last a long time if you treat it right, and the previous owner(s) treated it right. I would look at Civics, Corollas, Neons, Cavaliers, or other small common cars.

Myself, as soon as I can, I'll buy one. I would recommend to start off with a Toyota/Honda.

Back
Top Bottom