Firearms? Whos got em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
technoman said:
i have a question., would you give your kids a knife?

ive had a huge fishing knife since i was about 15, bought it... its more an anti gipsy item than a fishing knife though... wards them off pretty well...

Well comming fromt the "Crazy American" yes my 10 year old has a 3 inch pocket knife.. I also let him use Butter knives, Steak knives and an Exato knife. Scissors too!! (but we dont run with them).. What of it?

That makes me a bad or irresponsible parent? I dont think so.

As far as the thread locking.... I dont understand how you can complain about that when you were the one getting out of line just like I was. Bottom line, We all got warned, I dont like you and I'm not gonna sit here or anywhere and argue with you any more.

Back to the topic at hand..
I'm trying to convince my Stepfather not to sell his rifle.. He got if from his father..

Winchester Model 92 (could be 94) lever action golden Spike edition from 1969 (30-30 I believe)
Never been fired or had a round chambered.. Looks like a fun gun.. I know I want to fire a few rounds from it..

Do any of you go hunting with your guns, or you fire at targets, ect?
I remember a couple times lining up cans of water with my cousins and friends and just putting BBs through them.. :p Was fun to do.. still is. :)

Bowling pins? I never tried that.. hehe.
I think I'd be scared to hunt to be honest because I can't see myself killing an animal.. I'd probally feel too bad afterwards.

For some reason it always reverts back to the person making the thought is only right and the other is always wrong.
The issue is that I as an American, of legal age and that has never been convicted of a crime, has the right in todays society to buy, own and posess a fire arm....now whether I choose to do do that is my business and has nothing to do with anyone else at all.
Root you stated that you have the coice to go naked in your house , but you choose not to.. That is your choice...and that is as it should be.
It is the same as to whether I should own a firearm...for whatever reason , If I am legally able to purchase it then I should be able to do so with out anyone coming in here saying that I shouldn't or can't or that if I buy one my children will get ahold of it and kill me and all the neighbors and all the other people in the world to. It is horse manure.
If you feel that your children are not smart enough to be able to be taught the duties of gun ownership...then fine don't buy one. But because your children are stupid morons doesn't mean that mine are. Or is it that you as a parent don't want to be bothered about teaching your children but had rather let them be taught by and controlled by someone else... or had rather get their education from gangs and the like.
It is like any other right that is allowed. There are going to be those morons that will abuse it in some form or fashion. and before you get off on the "but it doesn't cause INNOCENT people to get killed." garbage, you had better take a long, closer look at them.
!) the right to be free!!!......even today in these times there are those from other countries that die at the hands of others for the sole reason that they wanted to be free from tyranny. Or for those that have lost their lives just to try to get to a better place to raise a family or to even provide for them.
2) the right to vote...How many thousands are dying right now...just because they want to be able to have a voice in their leadership.
3) How about the PRIVELEDGE to own and drive a car...there are more people killed every year in auto wrecks caused by poor drivers, drunken drivers, hot rodders and the likes, than all those killed by firearms(other than war).
and the list goes on and on.. If one was to just think about it.
Knives....people cut themselves with knives everyday. And these are peopel that know what a knofe is....the thing is accidents do happen, no matter how well trained you are...it can happen. and so be it.
And before it is taken all out of proportion....I am a registered shooting instructor and have been for many years....but I DO NOT own a firearm of any type. As I was always being transfered to other locals I made the decision a long time ago not to have to be concerned with that responsibility, so I got rid of all that I owned. My decision. It did not keep me from shooting firearms or maintaining my instructorship either.
Which brings us back to the issue at hand....Being responsible.....

Bahawolf said:
Bowling pins? I never tried that.. hehe.

Yeah,, Run down to your nearest Bowling ally and ask for some junk bowling pins.

My local ally sells them to me for 25 cents a piece. Really neat, when you shoot it, the pin "swallows" up the bullet and knocks it over.. I hit them with 9mm. I have seen poeple shoot them with .40 cal.. Dont know if you want to try with a high powered rifle.. I know 22 rifles shoot them fine.

Per pin,, I'll fire roughtly 50-70 rounds in each pin before I junk them. I pick up 4 at a time and set them around the range dirt mound.. High and low, Front to back.. makes for interesting shooting. I try 4 shots in the pins then, then the rest I try to make a bulls in the paper target.

lurkswithin said:
(...)The issue is that I as an American, of legal age and that has never been convicted of a crime, has the right in todays society to buy, own and posess a fire arm....now whether I choose to do do that is my business and has nothing to do with anyone else at all.
(...)
How about the PRIVELEDGE to own and drive a car...there are more people killed every year in auto wrecks caused by poor drivers, drunken drivers, hot rodders and the likes, than all those killed by firearms(other than war).(...)

Just out of curiousity, would you care if your neighbor happened to have nuclear weapons parts? Obviously, I'm exaggerating for the purpose of making my point. Think about it, though. There are some things that some people shouldn't have. I'm not saying guns are one of them, but just because you CAN have something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

As for driving a car: this is what I mean when I say I think guns need to be handed out responsibly. Drivers have to EARN a driver's license. To do that means taking tests to see if you are RESPONSIBLE enough to not damage property or hurt or kill other people with your car. I don't think it would be at all unfair for gun owners to take similar tests. After all, cars and guns are both deadly weapons.

The difference is quite simple. To drive a car is a priviledge...thus you must earn that right..
To own a gun is a right that is given to every law abiding citizen that is within the laws (age,mentallity,non criminal) and that is all there should be. to retrict it further would be tatamount to revoking the RIGHT.
Now while this may seem like symantics to you but It is what makes the Constitution what it is. Certain rights are guaranteed to us as certain proof that we are free, to speak, to move about, and to have a control over congress. To remove or restrict these rights is to undermine that guarantee.
Now to get back to the issue here. what should I care if you have a gun or not. or that my neighbor has the capabilities of making a weapon of mass distruction. That should not even be a discussion as to what my neighbor has or has not. It is really non of my business and I accept that fact. If you are so concerned about what your neighbor has then move. Take your family and move to someplace that you no longer have that fear. But don't you dare try to make me responsibile for your being scared of your neighbor or scared of what he may or maynot do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom