Einstein's "God Letter"

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Regardless of your beliefs and personal opinions (this isn't about that so please don't take it there) this would be a pretty cool piece of history to own.

Ebay's auctioning off Einstein's "God Letter" for $3 Million. It's privately owned and is stored in a controlled environment. There are quotes from the letter in the story.

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

That's a pretty strong belief. Rest of the STORY here.

Last edited:
The "God" I beleve in is a alien life form that has a higher bain power then us and can understand how the universe works, but did not create it.

I dont beleve in the bible, 2000 years ago people could not explan why there was stoms etc... so they bevleve a "god" did it, where it is just the weather.

regardless on what you beliefs are about what Einstein wrote that is an incredibly cool bit of history

:) I'm hoping this doesn't become a religious debate thread...

That being said, it's a unique item for a millionaire to have. I wonder how you'd ship something like that. How much would the insurance cost?

The "God" I beleve in is a alien life form that has a higher bain power then us and can understand how the universe works, but did not create it.

I dont beleve in the bible, 2000 years ago people could not explan why there was stoms etc... so they bevleve a "god" did it, where it is just the weather.

Please do not let this thread get into a religious debate.

I have said my peace.

My last post on this thread, I dont think these great forums should suffer a religious debate, there are plenty of forums out there for religious debates.

Mayby a forum admin should think about closing this thread if a religious debate happens.

WYSIWUG;12107792 Mayby a forum admin should think about closing this thread if a religious debate happens.[/QUOTE said:
Do you think? Maybe thats why I put the warning there?

Last edited:
Taking the sentence out of context much? (Not that it changes the belief, but Einstein comes off as less of a jerk about it if you read more).

Edit: Not saying that jmacavali took it out of context, the linked story included some very stern remarks that don't really represent what Einstein was saying in the letter.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." ~ Einstein

Last edited:
:) I'm hoping this doesn't become a religious debate thread...

That being said, it's a unique item for a millionaire to have. I wonder how you'd ship something like that. How much would the insurance cost?

Something like that would most likely be shipped by a courier service that specializes in transporting items of such a high value/rarity etc and in secure vehicles similar to what is used for cash in transit.

Some items like that would cost too much to insure for being taken out of a secure building where they are kept . For instance I recently saw and spoke with a museum that possess a 1st edition copy of the book wuthering heights amongst other valuable bronte memorabilia ,the book said to be worth more than half a millon gbp ($800,000+usd) actually cost the museum too much to insure for it to be taken out of the building to be sent of to a conservator and so they have to have conservator who come to them to carry out the work on their most valuable items . When it comes to such rare items for me it isn't just the monetary value that the insurers will be considering but also there is very limited scope for replacing the item and so if it is lost of damaged precious historical relics can be destroyed forever

My opening sentence was also a 'no religious debate' warning.

As far as moving it, I'd bet that the new owner wouldn't move it, but instead would leave it where it is housed. Chances are that they don't actually want to have it in their possession as much as they just want to "own" it.

It's also worth pointing out, that throughout the letter he says "in my opinion" and "for me". Also this letter is actually written to someone, and he finishes it by saying that the two of them would actually get along quite well, as long as they don't talk about religion <--- I think if we add in politics, then think about how peaceful the world would be...:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom