Drum help?

Thelis

Golden Master
Hey guys, I have a problem with my Snare right now. Whenever I hit it, it sounds like the snare itself is too loose. There is a long, ringing sound. I have tried putting duct tape on the bottom of my hitting head, but that did not help at all. The snare is brand new too.

Any suggestions? I can put up a sound clip if you guys want.

A sound clip actually might help. Try tightening everything.... Not much else I can think of.

he have to tighten the thing thats on the lever that allows you to release the snares from the bottom.

also, in the future, dont mess with that, its finely tuned for the best sound when you get it, its not hard to correct but there isnt much of a point. if its coming off by itself, then you might be hitting it too hard.

It is crapely tuned that's what it is. Everything is perfectly tightened. Still get that brassy sound.

Gosh, I'm in a high school band, and know a lot about instruments, but for the life of me, I can't seem to remember. Sometimes we get this problem, I think because the heads on the drum stretch out or the rim got warped somehow. I don't really remember, but we had to replace the heads on 2 tenor drums because of this.

I play a baritone, btw, not a percussion instrument, but I think I remember this right.

EDIT-- sound clip would help us out

its not the heads, but its probably a matter of the snares (the wires/snappy, whatevery you wanna call them) not being right and the top head to tight. The bottom head should be tuned so that when you push on it it feels firm, but has a little give, and for the batter (top) head, what you want to do its take all the tension off it, then push in the middle, and then turn each lug until the wrinkles around the edges disappear (do it evenly). this will give you the lowest note that drum can produce before it sounds like plastic. now, take each lug of the top head, and turn it 1 to 2 times. after that is done, take the lever that turns off the snares, and loosen the knob on it as far as it will go. then, while hitting the drum, tighten it just until the snares stop ringing, then tighten another half turn. it should be good then.

Also, with Rubber Chicken's in depth and well written instructions, double check the other side of where the snares are "harnessed" to the drum. If it's plastic or chord, make sure it's tightened pretty well. It can gradually get loose over time which can cause the sound you're hearing right now. Hell, there are a lot of things that could cause what you're hearing right now.

yea, check the butt and make sure that that strap is well seated there, and check the snare wires too. if they are crooked (more tension on one side than another) that will rattle as well. and if you can't tighten then snares enough, unscrew the butt and pull the strap in 2 or 3 mm.

Back
Top Bottom