Does anyone study selfe defence?

Draygoes

Fully Optimized
The question is in the title. I studied sense I was a kid, and I love having a good chat about different styles.

I am going to ask that nobody lie, and that people that have not studied not repeat most of what will be said here. Doing so without practice can get you hurt in a bad way. Also, I would prefer this to be a discussion about how one got in, why, and above all use in real life if ever.

I will start. I am a practitioner in Jujitsu, and so is Cynthia. It became very important, as it taught me experience in dealing with anger. These days, I never get into fights. I earned my ability to call myself a blackbelt, but that was over years of getting hit, training to be able to move my feet, and more hitting. I learned to be fast, take a hit, and the most important of it, you never get into a fight unless forced to.

I will leave it at that with one more statement...
Please do not try to say that one Art is better than another.

When you said selfe defense " I thought you mean't selfie like a cell phone... And was really confused lol.

I've been in martial arts for 13 years now and on paper have the rank 1st degree black belt, ( 1st dan ) however I would be considered a 3rd degree black belt. I never took the 2nd or 3rd degree test because they cost over $300 and the title to me is not worth that much money. I started in Karate for 4 years when I was little, and switched to Tae Kwon Do and have been in that ever since.

Sounds like fun!
It takes a lot of practice, but getting to 1st Blackbelt makes you feel like a god at first. I never got above that, but only because I did not need to.

Congrats on your love for the arts. :)

I have a 1st Dan in Tae Kwon Do as well. Ended up having to use my training more than once. I've told myself I never want to get that close to someone again in terms of a self-defense situation though - way too dangerous and way too much risk. Part of the reason why I carry.

On the same note, I have done multiple self defense pistol courses to learn how to draw and shoot accurately in stressful and fluid situations.

Hi! Just to add a little humor! The way I would probably deal with you guys would be with my 12 gauge shot gun. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
I agree with celegorm. The days of self defense are good, but not when they bring a automatic weapon.
Gary!

Hi! Just to add a little humor! The way I would probably deal with you guys would be with my 12 gauge shot gun. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
I agree with celegorm. The days of self defense are good, but not when they bring a automatic weapon.
Gary!
And the way that any of us would deal with that is to back away slowly. Sorry, but nobody true to the art would try to attack you with that weapon in your hand.

And the way that any of us would deal with that is to back away slowly. Sorry, but nobody true to the art would try to attack you with that weapon in your hand.

I can easily dis arm a rifle or pistol at close range. That's one thing that Tae Kwon Do specializes in ( at least with my instructor. ).

Maybe it's because one of the instructors just retired from training soldiers in the marines. He taught Krav Maga...

Either way it depends on the situation. if it's to protect someone then yes i'll engage someone with a weapon, unless they are farther away then there 0 chance of success. But I would take a bullet if it meant saving someone else, especially if he endangered my girlfriend. But like I said, if the guy is 10 feet away, I cannot dodge bullets so that obviously is impossible. But if hes an idiot and holds the gun to my head or somewhere close to me...

I learned a long time ago not to tell anyone my rank, because then even what you would think are adults start shit.

And Donetao, I practice throwing knives... So on a very very technical term, I could very technically bring a technical knife to a gun fight. lol :p

Hi! NikonGuy! Remind me not to mess with you. I'm getting to old to fight, but I got in several in my younger days. Back then after a good fight, we sat down and had a beer.
Now they go home and bring back a AK 47 or what ever they're called and shoot you and half the people there. Times are changing and I admire you guys that have study these self defense programs.
PS I sent you a PM and didn't receive a answer.
Gary!

And Donetao, I practice throwing knives... So on a very very technical term, I could very technically bring a technical knife to a gun fight. lol :p
let us know how that works out for you :)

Personally, I've never really seen the fascination with self defence past a childhood hobby.

in my experience the older a person gets the more diminishing the returns. until in the end it's more of a dis-service than something allowing personal growth.)

young children (<12) gain self confidence, co-ordination and athletic skill practising martial arts.

After that teenagers gain athletic skill and co-ordination, but really, most self confidence issues are going to be pretty deep seated by the time you're out of first school.

And by the time you're an adult the only thing you really gain is exercise, or as a social activity.

I have one friend who has been practising Karate for around 2 decades now.
he is absolutely convinced that he is some how fitter because of it, (whereas he's actually quite unfit because when you over eat and only spend a couple of hours a week play fighting you do not stay fit.)
he's convinced that somehow he'd fare better in a fight than any other person, (despite the fact that the guy has never been in a "real" fight in all his life, instead he's been in Karate tournaments, with bells and buzzers and bows and referees, where everything is expected, and despite the fact that most people who are the kind of people who actually fight in a bar are actually pretty experienced at fighting, and don't follow rules. they've probably been "actual fighting" in violent situations for as long as this guy has been "play fighting" with mats and a coach and the ability to call time and stop.)

(I guess as pointed out above the difference between calm target shooting and learning how to shoot under stress)

Of course, that's not to say that it is completely useless. just that my experience of most teenagers studying martial arts is that the genuinely think that they are the Karate kid, and long term studiers don't seem to grow out of that attitude.

That is not to say that it is a waste of time. but in my own experience, most people who pay for self defence classes probably end up over confident, and therefore in more danger.

I studied Tae Kwon Do over in Korea for 13 months back in 1972. I didn't quite make Black Belt and planned to do it when I got back to the US but never got around to it. I don't practice or anything anymore but still remember enough that I think I could take care of myself. Luckily, I have no need to protect myself since I don't frequent places where protection is needed.

My sons took Tae Kwon Do classes for 3 years when they were younger. I have to say that I learned substantially more in the 13 months I studied in Korea than they learned in the 3 years they studied in the US.

When I first came back to the US after Korea, some of us were fooling around and someone found some boxing gloves. A big guy grabbed a pair and started asking people to box with him. No one would do it since he was such a big guy. I had never had a pair of boxing gloves on in my life but volunteered to go up against him. We went at it for only a couple of minutes when the sarge came in and broke it up. Some of the guys started telling me about all the things I did wrong. I just shrugged it off since I could see that the big guy had a bloody nose and puffy red eyes and yet I didn't get hit a single time. I think I won.

Back
Top Bottom