Do they let you use calculators in classl?

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
It's been quite awhile since I've gone to school and I'm curious if calculators are allowed or banned from classes such as math or science.

My school doesn't play by all of the math rules for calculators. All four of my calculus classes I could not use my calculator at all. However in all of my science classes I could. From what I hear from my high school friends they're pretty much free to use them whenever they want.

It depends on what level (middle school, high school, college, etc). Then, I'd say it also depends on the class. Calculators will only really be of any advantageous help in arithmetic classes. If you have the TI-89 or higher than maybe it would help you more with Algebra and Trigonometry. When you get to mid-level classes like Calculus and upper level classes like Differential Geometry and Numerical Analysis calculators are about as useful as a brick.

depends

Trigonometry for example, would be nigh-on impossible without a calculator. As well as accurate calculations regarding Pi, because taking it to 3 decimal places (3.142) isn't enough to get an accurate-enough answer for some levels of course. Also, calculators were always allowed in Science classes, infact for physics it was encouraged due to the levels of some of the calculations. Not much use for a calculator in chemistry though, other than working out how much of *insert chemical here* to use.

It depends on what level (middle school, high school, college, etc). Then, I'd say it also depends on the class. Calculators will only really be of any advantageous help in arithmetic classes. If you have the TI-89 or higher than maybe it would help you more with Algebra and Trigonometry. When you get to mid-level classes like Calculus and upper level classes like Differential Geometry and Numerical Analysis calculators are about as useful as a brick.
TI-89s are amazing in Calculus, DifEQ, linear algebra, and every single class... I use my TI89 in every single class every single day. Doing complex integrals, differentials, systems of equations by hand is a waste of time.

In my math and logic class we can use calculators when ever we want, including tests, because otherwise some of the problems would take forever!

TI-89s are amazing in Calculus, DifEQ, linear algebra, and every single class... I use my TI89 in every single class every single day. Doing complex integrals, differentials, systems of equations by hand is a waste of time.

I solve problems faster without the TI-89 than with it. With Linear Algebra and D.E. it can be of good help if the system of equations is big enough. In Calculus, TI-89s are usually not allowed because it defeats the purpose of the class, which is to learn how to integrate and differentiate. Like I said, for higher level courses it isn't very handy. You'd be better off using something like MATLAB. Saying that it is amazing in very single class is quite an overstatement.

Hmm, idk what classes you are taking that the differentiation and integration is simple without a calculator. I hardly ever use Matlab for just math. But in my dynamics, thermo, DiffEQ, a lot of the stuff is a lot quicker with a calculator. Our professor even said if you do the integrals by hand you probably won't finish the test on time. Even in linalg, a simple 3x3 matrix is quicker in a calculator. I use the same technique in mechanics of materials to solve for forces when there is even just two equation and two unknown forces. At least in all of my classes, you would spend forever doing the homework without a calculator. I still stand by saying that I use my TI-89 in every single class, every single day.

And I agree, it wasn't used a whole lot in calculus, depending on your instructor. Simple integrations are easy without one. But higher level classes(dynamics, statics, mech of materials, Diff EQ, Thermodynamics) all assume you are and know how to use a calculator.

What classes are you taking now in your engineering degree?

What classes are you taking now in your engineering degree?

This semester I'm taking History of Aircraft Configuration Design, Statics & Dynamics, and Physics II. The other courses are general education and not relevant. Last semester I took Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra. The other math classes I completed before college. I guess it depends on how you are being taught your class. My Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra classes were both taught in n + m dimensions so calculators were really not a factor. I would agree that in Dynamics and Statics you need your calculator, but it is not key. You're talking about a few points on the question being given for actually completing the calculation. If you have the term that you have to type into your calculator as your answer most professors will only take a point off. My point is, yes, a calculator is extremely useful for arithmetic calculations, but it is not crucial to the class. Having a TI-89 won't make the problem any easier from a problem solving point of view. It'll definitely make the problem easier because systems of equations take forever to solve by hand if they're 3x3+. I'm particularly good at integration and differentiation by hand, so I'm about as fast as a calculator (unless you're talking arctan, cosh, and shit like that).

Back
Top Bottom