Which direction to go..

a1sporty15

In Runtime
I might possibly have an opportunity to be an intern at a pretty large insurance company that I will not name.. Which of these disciplines do you think would be most beneficial and skills to have in the future?

• Application Development
• Business Analysis
• IT Project Management
• Infrastructure Support
o Networking
o Systems Management
o Virtual Infrastructure
o Storage Management

There's definitely arguments for them all.. It depends on which you're best at / which you enjoy the most.

If I had to pick one, I guess 'Application Development' would be most 'essential' to have in the future. If you are looking at a career, then things (projects / applications / interfaces / technologies etc) are always being developed - its a natural progression in technology. Therefore, logically, you would probably be able to have a lot of work, or lots of projects to get involved in - and keep yourself in a job.

However, that's just logically thinking. If you are super hot at something like networks or infrastructure support - if you enjoy the area (it's usually no coincidence that you're good at it and have a good understanding of it too if you enjoy it) then you will be in demand / able to find work.

Some of the areas like storage management and systems management are often already set up and based upon set algorithms and rules. Therefore, logically, you would be entering an environment that you wouldn't necessarily have an edge over many people, who are already in the field (in fact they would probably have the experience already).

Not saying don't try these areas - if everyone took that view there would be no one doing it! Also, people often move around / migrate in I.T, and there are a hell of a lot of existing systems that need maintaining and managing correctly that already exist - not mentioning the new ones that would be created...

There's a lot of luck / hard work involved. Most of the time it's VERY tough to find a job that you have studied for, you need to be flexible.

Like Luke said there are huge amounts of arguements for them all; it really does depend what you enjoy doing most.

If you're thinking for the future i personally would put them in this order:

Application Development
IT Project Management
Infrastructure Support
Virtual Infrastructure
Networking
Systems Management
Storage Management
Business Analysis

That list being said, i happen to work for a medium/large unamed insurance company and i would say that Systems Management and Network Infrastructure support are your most useful skills. Most insurance companies will have outsourced CRM packages so there is no support there, no real need for application development and operate as a support helpdesk fixing workstations, helping users and ensuring the network keeps ticking over.

Back
Top Bottom