Diamonds The Next Step For Computers

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

Think of this you look on your temapture gauge on your computer your CPU is running at 100 C, you shrug no big deal. Most of the times 100 C idel running temp means bad heatskin. But diamonds can be made into CPUs that can handle crazy temps 100 C to a diamond IS NOTHING. Imagine what kind of heat a computer can handle when all the chipsets are MADE OUT OF DIMAONDS.

BTW if you don't feel like reading the entire article bascially it says that you can produce a dimaond thats worth 15,000 bucks today for a little less then 100 bucks. Imagine how fast CPUs would be because they mention that such new technology would be like awesome for the comptuer industry. I mean you could do it today but that'd be a $$$ CPU.

Its not that bad of a concept really. We use silicon, which is made out of sand in the same process that coal is turned into diamonds. Only, Not quite as much pressure and energy is needed to make silicon.

Yea thats why it melts at lower temps. The dimonds are produced not at 100s of degrees and 100s SQ pressure its in the upper thousands. So they will be durable as all out sin.

/me drools

Could you imagine the speeds currently people say siclion CPUs will meet there point where running them simply will TAKE TOO MUCH COOLING. I mean I don't see silcion going much futhur then 14 GHz or somthing and thats only about 5 or so years away if the prediction of CPU speed doublingis true.

don't they use a crystal inside the cpu?

i thought there was a crystal inside that vibrates and thats what determines your clock speed

joepic said:
don't they use a crystal inside the cpu?

i thought there was a crystal inside that vibrates and thats what determines your clock speed

This crystal is actually on your motherboard.

Your CPU doesnt get to determine speed it runs at ;) (Except they have a multiplier limit)

OK...
I remember reading this story ages ago, and the idea was even covered in PCFormat magazine, the idea is this...

A diamind is actually partially electrically conductive, (it's semi conductor) the sae as silicone.

diamonds can be doped to have P and N types just like silicone, yet diamonds have higher precision making abilities and better heat dissipation properties.

therefore diamonds allow more complex chips to be made. that run faster and cooler,

The crystal that is currently inside your computer is quartz, it's precision cut slither of crystal, when you apply a voltage to it, it oscillates at a predefined frequecy (dictated by the cut of the crystal). that is the base clock speed, however clock speeds can be multiplied and divided,

this clocking pulse defines what can, (or cannot) be done on the board,
all logic gates are built up (or can be built up) of simple flip flop circuits made with nor gates.
the speed at which thes flip (or flop), is determined by the clocking pulse which allows the circuit to change state from either high to low, or low to high.

and as we all know clock speed (as in the speed of the crystal) isn't erally the limiting factor in CPU design, it's more channel width, density and heat dissapation issues that ar holding back the speed of processors.

Using diamonds for transistors is a old concept. It's been known for a while that it conducts signals and data far faster than any thing on this planet. The only problem is the practicality and the costs. Its simply too expensive and the yields aren't good enough.

Back
Top Bottom