Deleted files, need help

Sniperm0n

Beta member
I recently installed Counter strike source one again after about a month. I kept all of my sprays that I have collected over the years in that file, the same goes for the audio files for hldj. I downloaded it and I notice that all of my skins are gone, by name is reverted back to unamed and my sprays and audio files are missing!

I go to system restore hoping that this would fix it, well for some reason I go back to the css file and for a split second, I can see the sprays folder and a bunch of other files and then they vanish and there is only a couple of files left with nothing in them. I've already downloaded file recovery programs and nothing came up at all.

When I installed css again it seemed to completely delete every file that I had stored in there, but I don't think they're actually deleted but hiding somewhere.

I could really use someones help because I'm running out of options and it's very frustrating to lose all of the pictures that I have collected over the past 3 years.

Thanks...

See, when you reinstalled CSS it most likely overwrote all those files you had. It replaces the old folders with new empty folders. Then when you installed it for the second time it only made it worse. Yes, they are deleted, the program overwrote them. You're out of luck, sorry.

What you should have done is before you installed the program the first time is take all the files you wanted to save and move them to a different folder, just make a folder on your desktop and put them in there. THEN install CSS and move the files to the appropriate folders.

Certain recovery programs can get it them back. Unfortunately, most programs allow you to browse the HDD for deleted files, and you have to purchase to save them.

Certain recovery programs can get it them back. Unfortunately, most programs allow you to browse the HDD for deleted files, and you have to purchase to save them.
Unlikely - he says he's tried file recovery programs so I'm pretty sure that approach won't work here. They can only pick up what's left on the disk, been marked for deletion but hasn't yet been overwritten. Since it sounds like he's installed a bunch of stuff (file recovery programs and CSS twice over) since the files got deleted, this significantly diminishes the change of file recovery software being able to pick the lost files up.

The first rule of getting back files that you've deleted accidentally or otherwise is to NEVER install something else if you want the files back.

Back
Top Bottom