Computing project

muz

Golden Master
Ok so for my A level in computing i have to write a computerised system a report about every stage in the systems development and so ideally it has to be a current system i have observed or an improvement computerisation of a system i have access to so for instance a few people are writing stock control systems for a shop they work at .and another bunch of people are writing library programmes and there is one person whose parents own a small shop and all of their stock control and accounting is done on paper and they are gong to write a computerised system to do this . unfortunately i dont have access to things like this because i dont have a saturday job , and i dont know anyone who owns a shop , works in a library etc . one thing i have however done is a few days work experience in a law firm and i had experience with the system they use to charge their clients now i suggested this idea to my computing teacher and she said it sounded like a good project and i like the sound of it too . i have one other idea which is going to the small pizza shop across the road and asking about their system and doing a pizza ordering system however we did one of them as an example courseowkr project last year and i dont know if i would be allowed to do it again

i was just wondering before i begin if anybody has any other ideas for things i could do bearing in mind or anybody here who would like to act as a user for my project thye things it basically has to do are
  • allow user to input data
  • store data
  • simple processing liek working out profit/loss
  • output things like invoices or end of month accounts

my advice, andhow I looked at it for my final year project is write something useful.

for my A level IT project I wrote a stock control and lookup program for a CD shop. it was all verynice and you get to go do the interviews with the shop so that you get real life user input etc.
but ultimatly it was a project that I didn't care about and thus... well the end result didn't really matter.

for my final year uni project I wrote a suite of tools for development, they included.
an online source repository.
an online knowledgebase
and a final combination of the two that served as a source repository with knowledge articles attached to serve as a bug tracking tool for the code.

it was something I'd decided that I wanted to make for myself for future use, and I have actually used it since.

because I actually cared about the outcome, and knew what I wanted the system to look like and how it should opperate I did a much better job of it than when I made systems that I just didn't care about.

I'm not saying that you should make a tool. just make something that you care about in a greater sense than I just have to do this to pass.

^^ Yeah, no substitute for real life projects that people will actually be using. For my semester project in my software engineering class my group did a VB.net front end with a access back end and crystal reports for reporting. It was tracking software for the local Boys and Girls Club to track volunteers, donations, and integrated into the current software they had for tracking the kids. It's nice to put on a resume that you have a piece of software actually in use to a company and not just something you wrote and only a few people played with for testing.

my advice, andhow I looked at it for my final year project is write something useful.

for my A level IT project I wrote a stock control and lookup program for a CD shop. it was all verynice and you get to go do the interviews with the shop so that you get real life user input etc.
but ultimatly it was a project that I didn't care about and thus... well the end result didn't really matter.

for my final year uni project I wrote a suite of tools for development, they included.
an online source repository.
an online knowledgebase
and a final combination of the two that served as a source repository with knowledge articles attached to serve as a bug tracking tool for the code.

it was something I'd decided that I wanted to make for myself for future use, and I have actually used it since.

because I actually cared about the outcome, and knew what I wanted the system to look like and how it should opperate I did a much better job of it than when I made systems that I just didn't care about.

I'm not saying that you should make a tool. just make something that you care about in a greater sense than I just have to do this to pass.

well one of the options we have open to us is a e learning system for a level subjects and i think that would be usefull

i know i suggested the charging system as i already know in my head what i want it to be like and i suggested the charging system as i dont wanna do the same old stock control system every one else is doing

Back
Top Bottom