coding, but never mind now...

root

Site Team
Staff member
Following on from Rohans thread (competition number 1)...

and the thread that started it all... (again Vampists thread)

vampist, if you want best PHP whore title then you have to win it...

this is a coding competition...

post the most useful, or the most fun, or something that's a bit mischievous, piece of code, or script that you can manage...

for a length limit All the code MUST fit within 1 post.
there is no limit on the language. (so every thing from assembler to PHP, C to Java, and batch script to VBscript is allowed).
you can also run the script however you like, (for example you can use PHP as a command line interpretor, you don't have to use it as a web script).

brief description of what the code does is recommended, because not everyone will understand what the code does just by looking at the code.

it's the 9th today,
the competition will close on Christmas day (25th) at 12.00pm (that's midday) GMT.

you can post as many code samples as you like, (1, 2, 3 etc).
you can edit your code samples up to the closing date...

rules:
  • the close date is 12:00pm GMT 25th december (2009)
  • any code that doesn't run is disqualified
  • any code that contains errors is disqualified
  • any code that is posted after 12.00pm the close date is disqualified
  • any code that is edited after the close date is disqualified
  • any code contained in a post that is edited after the close date is disqualified, (because you may have altered the code).
  • code should be your own code, you can use library functions, you can use functions written by someone else, provided that you label it as someone else's and clearly label your own code that you've written.
  • All code, (including any functions borrowed) MUST fit within a single post)
  • the brief description of what the code does must also fit within the same post
  • the code MUST be ready to run, -if you have a non out-of -the-box setup you MUST describe that, (for example if you use the socket functions in PHP you must say that you need to edit the php.ini file to have the line include=php_sockets.dll or include=php_sockets.so etc...) so that other people will be able to trial and test your code.

Judging:
I don't expect that there will be a whole load of entries as this is quite specific.

each person can post as many separate code blocks/scripts as they like, but you're only allowed to take your best 2 examples forward for judging...

(so you can post 10 to get an idea of what might be popular, and then take your best/most popular script/code through to judging).

24 hours after the closing date you must have (if you've posted more than 2 code blocks/scripts), your 2 that you plan to put forward written down in the forum.

judging will hopefully start on the 26th (24 hours after the competition ends), and will be by a public vote (thread with polling options).

judging will end a week later on NYD again at midday (perhaps later if I'm too hung over to close the thread with voting).

the entry with the most votes wins a prize...

Prizes!!!
I'm going to put up (out my own pocket). £10 in electronic gift vouchers, (your choice of store, I just need to be able to voucher from within the UK and send you the gift code via PM).

at the current exchange rate
£10 = $16.2 USD, which would be a $15 gift voucher
£10 = $17.3 CAD, so $15 voucher
£10 = $17.9 AUD, so a $20 voucher

see what I did there, basic rounding...
prizes will be based on the exchange rate at the time.

If I win (because I will be entering) then my prize is not giving away a tenner.

if anything in this post isn't clear, or if anyone can think of something that needs to be added to the rules, then just say.

If anyone else wants to offer prizes then feel free, any additional prizes will be listed in order or preference by value, so the most valuable prize gets to be first prize...

if anyone feels like adding a prize then just say, (but don't offer something that you can't honour) because that's not fair, -if the prize that you promised is the 1st place prize and you never send it then that's be a bit harsh that 2nd place got a £10 voucher and 1st place got nothing.

if you offer a physical prize, (like some memory) remember that this forum is world wide and you need to be prepared to post your prize world wide, not just inside the continental states.
it'll be the person who offers the prize's job to pay postage as well, so before you offer a tower case have a little think about how much it's going to be to post that to Australia!

If you're posting a prize, and that prize is going overseas the prize will be a gift, and should be marked as such for the purposes of customs.

If I can find something suitably light, and rubbish i might offer a last place prize as well.

Re: competition number 2 -coding

Dude, really? Do you not remember this one clear request and rule?

I will created a single thread once every few days so we have enough time to get everyone in and vote. Please, please, please do no create your own. Let me take care of this competition. When everyone creates threads, we have chaos and fighting among members.

Idk rohan, that's a lot of stuff root posted...do you want all of that in one thread? That could be confusing...

Apologies, I hadn't read that far into the original thread...

I'll close this thread.

thus this coding competition is rescinded,

unless rohan decides to make a coding competition we're never going to find out who the biggest PHP whore is...

in addition, the cash prize I had offered is no longer offered, at least not by me.

Let me take care of this competition.
This is a separate competition though! Personally I think it should stay open, I was thinking of posting something if I got a chance :)

This is a separate competition though! Personally I think it should stay open, I was thinking of posting something if I got a chance :)

I take Rohans point on board, it was his idea to run a series of competitions, and in the first post I made reference to his idea, called this competition number two of the series that he was creating. (I'll rename the thread now to save confusion later).

it would have at least been polite if I'd discussed the idea for a coding competition with Rohan first instead of just ripping off his idea...

If Rohan wants to post a coding competition, (or repost this one) then i'll be one of the first to enter!

Hm ok sweet deal. I'm up to the challenge. When ever Rohan wants to give the go ahead.

No offense to you guys, I didn't mean to sound like a dick.

The thing is, every time we try having a friendly competition here, people get too carried away. Everyone starts posting their own and we just end up fighting and hating each other. I'll post this competition in a thread and use your rules. I just want to put a little energy back into these forums. It's getting really quiet in here and we don't have the life we did when I first joined.

I dont think root meant it like that. He offered £10 of his hard earned monies, It didnt seem to be just a whim. I dont mean to sound rude, but is it really up to you? He is a moderator, after all.

Back
Top Bottom