cell phone

ndatoxicity

Daemon Poster
this isnt a cell phone picture thread.

i was wondering...if you look on newegg and see unlocked phones...can you buy those and put your SIM card in it and it will work? or do you have to get it programmed for your network first?

(this might be on the wrong board...prolly should be in general electronics...sorry)

If it's an unlocked quadband cell phone, then it should work with any service that requires an sim card.

Cell phones run on GSM technology. There's multiple frequencies for the GSM. There are 850/900/1800/1900, since there are 4 bands, that means its an quadband. If it were 850/1800/1900, then that means it's an triband, and so on. I think there are a couple more bands, but I don't think you will see much phones nor carriers using those bands.

For example AT&T uses 850/1900, that means if you were using AT&T, then you will need an phone with those frequencies in order to work. Carriers might just use 850, but if you had an phone with 900/1800/1900, then it would not work (no service).

You can look at these link to see what bands you need.
US
Canada

Oh yeah, theres also some mentions on how text and online might not work correctly. Then you would just go online and find a guide that will teach you how to get it fully working.
Then some people told me about the 34k and 64k sim cards, and how it works on some phones and doesn't on others. I never actually quite get that, but I have been told that the carrier will just supply you with is new one if it doesn't. I think these depends on the carriers whether they do it or not, and whether if they charged you.

Oh yeah, theres also some mentions on how text and online might not work correctly. Then you would just go online and find a guide that will teach you how to get it fully working.
Then some people told me about the 34k and 64k sim cards, and how it works on some phones and doesn't on others. I never actually quite get that, but I have been told that the carrier will just supply you with is new one if it doesn't. I think these depends on the carriers whether they do it or not, and whether if they charged you.

you just made it sound way more complicated than it is. Just put the sim card in and it'll work. Don't worry about 32/64k and the internet.

Cell phones run on GSM technology. There's multiple frequencies for the GSM. There are 850/900/1800/1900, since there are 4 bands, that means its an quadband. If it were 850/1800/1900, then that means it's an triband, and so on. I think there are a couple more bands, but I don't think you will see much phones nor carriers using those bands.

For example AT&T uses 850/1900, that means if you were using AT&T, then you will need an phone with those frequencies in order to work. Carriers might just use 850, but if you had an phone with 900/1800/1900, then it would not work (no service).

You can look at these link to see what bands you need.
US
Canada
Not all cell phones run on GSM technology.

Verizon is the biggest wireless carrier in the United States IIRC and it and Sprint run on CDMA (1XRTT/1XEVDO) technology. CDMA phones don't take SIM cards; you just register the ESN with the carrier.

In Canada, Bell and Telus (and their subsidiaries - Virgin Mobile, Koodo Mobile, Solo Mobile, etc) don't allow foreign phones on their network. I don't know if this is the same in the US, but even if you unlock a CDMA phone in Canada, it can't be used with Bell or Telus (the only CDMA carriers) unless it's a carrier-branded phone. If Verizon and Sprint have the same policy, you'd need to purchase your phone from them or make sure that the phone is branded for their network. Not sure if they're that strict (and anti-competitive) though.

Rogers is GSM, like AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, so any unlocked phones will run on its network. Bell and Telus are moving to HSPA (3G GSM) technology soon anyway, I think a soft launch is coming in September or October.

Back
Top Bottom