Careers in the computer field

Novice2000

Baseband Member
I heard that there are tons of people out there who have computer degrees and haven't been able to find a job in the field, even 5, 6, or even 7 years after getting their degree. I also heard that people who are in the field have had their salaries severely reduced or have even been let go. Is the computer field really that bad?

Also, I know someone who has an Associates degree in Computer Information Systems. He has seen an ad in the paper for an entry level tech support position for an internet service provider. He applied for this position and even got a call from them for an interview. It only pays $8 an hour. He makes $18 an hour as a welder. He got his degree back in 2003 and hasn't been able to find work in that field since he got his degree. Does anyone here think it would be worth it for him to leave his present job, paying $18 an hour, to pursue this tech support position, paying $8 an hour, to get his foot in the door in the IT industry? Does anyone even think that this position will teach him enough or make enough of a difference on his resume to help him get hired on in the IT field? Will employers looking for IT people consider someone with this kind of experience?

If this does help, how long do you think it will take for him to start making more money at other companies? How much more money? And how long will it take to make certain amounts more?

And how does everyone see the IT field right now, in the near future, and in the future? Does it look good for people getting in to it or not?

there is a HUGE demand of IT tech jobs, if you go into it right now you could easily find a job, it might get easier in the future too, since more and more business are going all digital.

Do you think he should leave his $18 an hour welding job to take the $8 an hour tech support job, or do you think he should wait until something better comes along?

Yeah I'm not sure where you heard that, computer jobs are constantly arising - new technology needs new jobs. Not a lot of people know a lot about computers - and companies need people who do. So they're willing to pay more than other said job.

Yeah I'm not sure where you heard that, computer jobs are constantly arising - new technology needs new jobs. Not a lot of people know a lot about computers - and companies need people who do. So they're willing to pay more than other said job.

So do you think that he needs to quit his $18 an hour welding job to start out at this $8 an hour tech support job or do you think he can do better than that when he's first getting into the computer field?

I'd say keep welding, It's a field that has fewer and fewer qualified people in it. Maybe do some part-time IT work on the side to get his foot in the door and feel it out abit

I have no idea whats wrong then , technology is the worlds largest growing field. There is thousands of jobs around here for , network administrator , IT , web designers that all pay in the 20 + dollar an hour range.

Just an F.Y.I though , this field is something that values certifications more than a degree, someone with a ccnp is going to make a ton more than someone who finished four years of computer technology.

i want to work with computers when i grow older but i want a job
that has a steady income that allows me to live comfortable with a nice house 2 kids and wife and be able to go on vacation once a year

Like I said computer field is a very good field to go in, that eight dollars an hour is just crazy best buy's geek squad pays more than that.

Back
Top Bottom