Can somebody help me out here?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
OK. So we have an old 1987 Nissan Maxima parked out front with half a million kilometers and half a million problems. Its not worth fixing, so I'm stripping it down for everything remotely useful before we scrap it. I popped out the radio and I'm faced with a whole bunch of randomly colored wires and pins. Can anybody tell me what does what so I can firgure out how to put it in another car or use it as a normal radio?

thanks in advance!

Is it a factory radio, or is it something that was installed later? If it is a owner installed radio, what make and model?

I beleive it's a factory radio, I'm not sure because it used to by cousin's car but it looks stock. Either way the label on it says Clairion. Model No. PN-90521

owners manual? anywhere in there?

woulda thought there would be a pin out of the radio in there somewhere..

I dont have the cars owners manual, and thats the model number for sure, but heres some others on the label:

Serial No. 0159347
Part No. 286-5472-00

Check the second link in post #5. Scroll down to the bottom to see the wire color listing.

Nope, colors dont match up. I was talking to my dad and he said the car was made from parts from the '87 and '88 Maxima both.

btw, I'll post a picture or two of the back of the radio:
DSCF1552.jpg

DSCF1556.jpg

Are there any other labels on the body of the radio? sometimes there are pin outs on a label..

its a pretty old radio, so i wouldnt have thought it would still be on their website

nope. As i write this I'm trying to trace back the circut boards. I popped off the back and am peering around to figgure out what pins are for power at least, when I get it powered up i can prod around with a multimeter to find the speakers

EDIT: Got it. trial and error solves every problem :p used a power supply from a computer to give me the voltage required. Also, theres another box with some more dials on it for bass and so on it hooks to, in wich the speakers are connected. I have to use a seperate power supply for each box. What I want to do is plug 'em both into a cigarette lighter on my friends 1996 Ford Taurus, but is this too much of a load for the cig. lighter?

I'm also going to hack the cassete deck to plug in an Mp3 player :p

Back
Top Bottom