Business related study to go with Mechanical Engineering

superman22x

Golden Master
What field would you think would be good? I've heard doing some business with engineering is a good idea. But there are a lot of different branches... Not sure which is best. Marketing, Management, Economics... + more...

Just looking for some tips.

Management would be bet I think. Marketing would be good too so you know what happens once you finish the product.

Ok, did a little more research, and found for a 2nd degree program, the only 2 options are Business Management or Economics. Management seems like it would be a lot better. Downside is, 69 required credits, and 32 have to be seperate from my engineering degree, which already requires 127... So I would be here for at LEAST 5 years. More if I do an internship. I dunno...

Managment would be best. It would give you good training to become project leaders in engineering jobs.

Here's my 4 year plan. Currently I have almost all of my general education classes fulfilled, as I took college classes in high school from a local college. So, when I start class this fall and my U, I'll have just some basic religion classes to take to fulfill my gen eds and I'm moving on to my major work (I'm going to a private school, hence the religion classes).

I'm going to go for my bachelors in Business Administration with a concentration in Management. I'm also going to get a minor in marketing with a concentration in graphic design. Thirdly, I may look to get a minor in music and/or computers. I have not checked out what minors there are for that, but it'll be at least 2 years down the road yet before it matters and is at the top of my list. So, since I have 2 years of gen eds done, I'll basically have 4 years (I have a 4 year scholarship) to get whatever I can in. That's the reason for the minors. Maybe I'll change the marketing minor into a second major (if there is a major for it) but I'm not sure yet.

Then, my 6 year plan includes the above (obviously) but then getting my masters in business (maybe a diff. U, I'm not sure yet).

My goal: Get a decent job out of college. This is the initial reason I chose business administration/mgmt. It's a very universal degree that applies in a wide range of areas. My eventual goal down the road (or if I'm lucky, right from college), is to teach business or computer-related classes at the college level somewhere. Then, if I for some reason fall in to place somewhere where I'm banking a decent amount of money, I'll get my retirement plans worked out and then save up enough to start my own computer shop again, but on a bigger size than what I am now. Maybe with a few employees and an actual physical store-front/location.

I don't know if that helped at all, but that's about all I can tell ya. I wish you luck in whatever direction you go, superman!

So, I thought about it a little more now... 5 years, I could get either a Master's in Mechanical engineering, or 5-6 years I could get a Bachelors in Mech eng, and a Bachelors in Business Management... What would be better, a Master's or a double major?...

It depends really. You'll probably see no salary/income increases with bachelor degrees, but you'll have more job options. With a masters in the one area, you'll have a better salary/income (generally speaking), but you'll be more limited job wise.

I've heard having a 2nd major in business makes you like pure gold to employers... I heard of engineers with business starting out around 80-90k a year...

Well, believe me, you will not have any problem with money with an engineering degree. So really, I would choose what you think you'd like better!

Back
Top Bottom