banning a traditional event??

zeezeiler99

Baseband Member
hello guys,
i live in the netherlands (as you might know)
and the government (worst ever) wants to ban a traditional event like christmas... its called sinterklaas in the netherlands and every child believes in it. well, as people might know that there are much refugees here. and they see it as a racist event... search google for sinterklaas and you might know why..

what would you do when they banned christmas??

greetings
Joost

Well that largely depends on the terms of the ban...

Are you not allowed to celebrate it at all? Can you have decorations on your house? In your house? I can't imagine they can ban you from having a tree inside the home?

What does the proposed legislation call for?

Well that largely depends on the terms of the ban...

Are you not allowed to celebrate it at all? Can you have decorations on your house? In your house? I can't imagine they can ban you from having a tree inside the home?

What does the proposed legislation call for?

well, in 2015 will ban the helpers of sinterklaas (like the elves whit santa)
without the helpers there is no real event...

Welcome to the new world. Where everyone is offended by everything. The controversy over 'Black Peter' is pretty silly. That's how it goes though, the racist ones accuse the otherwise unaware ones of being racist over miniscule things. Thus perpetuating racism through time.

I got sent home from work a few years back for dressing like a dead terrorist on Halloween. Yea... that's the world we live in. Even terrorists have feelings and we need to make sure we don't hurt them.

I got sent home from work a few years back for dressing like a dead terrorist on Halloween.

well, i guess thats not for racist meaning but that you dress up like someone that did 9/11...

the worst thing is: we can't do nothing against it... the event will get banned. :(

i dont see the problem about ''black peter'' he has to work for 2 weeks and the rest of the year does he celebrate in spain...

well, i guess thats not for racist meaning but that you dress up like someone that did 9/11...

Negative. Per HR, it was offensive to muslims.
My Reply: Then we know who the terrorists are!
HR: Go home and change. Now.

the worst thing is: we can't do nothing against it... the event will get banned. :(

That's a good representation of a failure of government. Or a failure of the people to control its government... not like we Americans have room to talk about that though :rolleyes:

While I think it's silly to ban an event that is rooted in tradition, no one can look at "Black Peter" and not find it a bit racist or offensive. You may not be offended yourself, but there's no reason to continue a tradition that can be interprettedthat way. There's no reason he has to have those big red lips....just modify his look a little bit and I think it would be fine. Just like everything else, traditions need to be updated to refelct the modern society and their views as well.

In today's "global" society, these types of things are going to be more and more common.

Sorry to go off topic Joost. There is something I would like to say.

Negative. Per HR, it was offensive to muslims.
My Reply: Then we know who the terrorists are!
HR: Go home and change. Now.

Sorry to intrude. I assure you that I at least would never ever intentionally hurt an innocent sole.

Back
Top Bottom