Australia's Internet Bungle

the-network-explained@1x.jpg

Last edited:
They told me yesterday they don't guarantee upload speeds only downloads. if the downloads are 6 mbps or more that is normal and high latency is just part of the plan... Have to put up with it. The bad thing here is not much else that is any good. Can't get Comcast. Don't want At&t. Spectrum has a bad reputation here. Thats all except fro Direct tv's internet and thats the same as At&t. And most likely the same as Dish. 4G is way out of price range. They dropped there Modem wifi internet plan and the modem itself too. They only offer the hot spot. its good for only the plan gigs and then they throttle it back to 1X speeds. Thats Dial up no less!! There is one other company called Frontier but it has a bad rep too! So i am screwed to Dishes plan, Or move to another area where there is better choices. Just Sucks.......

That cvc pay for bandwidth thing sounds like a regular peering agreement.

I don't understand why it should stop offering high speeds unless there was a regulated price cap for the consumer?

There is but i still have 48.5 gigs of my 50 gig limit left. on top of that i have another 50 gigs that are for 200am to 800am. I think the equipment is breaking down but they tell me they can still communicate with the modem and things look normal to them... Wonder what they would do if there internet started acting up like mine??

That cvc pay for bandwidth thing sounds like a regular peering agreement.

I don't understand why it should stop offering high speeds unless there was a regulated price cap for the consumer?

Well because they are selling services as wholesaler they also need to make money so they can pay back the government. They were supposed to get money from investors but failed and the government gave them another $19bn to finish the rollout. As for higher speeds

"Based on NBN Co's current regulated wholesale pricing, we would have to price a 1 Gbps plan at between AU$300-$400 per month," MyRepublic Australia Managing Director Nicholas Demos told CNET. " - NBN overhauls ISP pricing: Here's why it matters for speeds CNET

My home could have gigabit speeds since I'm connect to the FTTP/H network and just need an upgrade at the street cabinet I believe.

There has been and still is a lack of transparency around the entire project leaving everyone wanting answers when it comes to connections and repairs.

Its also great to see they that are spending taxpayers money wisely especially when it comes to $437,000 on coffee machines, coffee and maintenance.

Deb is on the phone to Spectrum right now. $49.99 a month. 120mbps speeds, unlimited internet!!! now that is fast!! This was never that fast!! I'm sold.

What is the actual price? Charter is known to play games. They sign you on a contract with a low initial price, then raise it significantly after a set period. Even if their service turns out to be complete shit, you are trapped within the contract. If it isn't, well, you never know what it's going to cost you next year.

I don't know whether this applies to Charter, but many ISPs will actually raise the price midway through the contract— something which they bury in the fine print.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom