Argh...

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
No, this isn't a pirate thread... although that would be a cool idea.
Anyway, this is a thread devoted to me staying up until now (5:21 AM my time) trying to get my PC running again. My hard drive was getting all corrupt on me and I was all "Oh no you didn't!" so I formatted... I've installed enough to fool around with but I still need to get around to installing all my old games, save files, various applications, etc. *Sigh*

Whatever, I hope it's fixed for good now. Watching checkdisk run every time i rebooted was getting old. But at least this time I remebered to add an extra partition. I've always wanted to see if I could dualboot a linux on here.

If you have a DVD writer, you should make an image of ya OS for future installations, its much quicker to reinstall that way. And ya might need it if ya gonna dual boot with linux lol :)

Wait, what do you mean? Make an ISO of WinXP on a DVD and it goes faster? Huh...

Well I have a copy of ubuntu ready to go on soon, on CD-RW. I'm not sure if I have driver support though. Last time I checked ASUS only had Windows drivers so I guess I'll have to see what I can do.

If you use an image program like ghost or acronis true image, you can make an exact copy of ya clean install. Basically, you wont have to go through the hassle of installing drivers, updating windows, adding programs etc. Once the image is done, if you wanted to restore it, you would just put ya image disc in and go through the options and it would install exactly as it was when ya created it. Takes about 30mins tops

So what ya would do is get windows set up exactly how ya like it. Then create the image (its literally a mirror of ya system). Then if it goes wrong, run the image, and ya back to where ya started

This is ideal for you, especially if your going to have a dabble with dual booting linux, coz if ya make a mistake ya system wont be bootable. But if ya got ya image then ya can restore ya partition back in no time at all (there are other ways, but these dont always sort it, and if your knowledge of Linux is limited like mine, then this is probably easiest)

Wow, i've had one of those nights! Its horrible when your computer crashes and you have to stay up all night trying to fix it!

Infin1ty said:
Wow, i've had one of those nights! Its horrible when your computer crashes and you have to stay up all night trying to fix it!

For some reason, I enjoy the part where you think to yourself 'Ah a fresh HD, no worries of corrupt files or malicious software....'

Then i remember I gotta download and install every program I need..... :eek:

Oh, yeah...
I always forget to write down all the things in task manager so I know what I can close safely...

D-Lew said:
But at least this time I remebered to add an extra partition. I've always wanted to see if I could dualboot a linux on here.

lol, like linux couldn't create a new partition for itself. :D

Back
Top Bottom