Anybody out there?

I am on here at least twice a day unless I am out of town for work.

I very occasionally poke around here now, but as others have said this site has long been dead. Reddit, Stackoverflow, generic Facebook groups and the like have definitely taken over from traditional forums, and that trend only seems set to continue.

^ That's true. Nowadays, small business don't even bother creating websites. Most just create a Facebook page, Instagram profile, etc. Even WhatsApp has a paid business version now.

I think it's not just forums dying. It's websites in general.

I suspect you're correct. A good friend of mine had a theory that the internet in "common" use would grow smaller horizontally and larger vertically as time went on, and that seems to be panning out.

Back in the day "common" users of the internet were only the tech elite at universities - as such normal users of the internet would be fiddling with it at the fundamental protocol level just as much as they would be using those protocols to communicate. These were the days that RFCs were being rolled out left right and centre for the common communication protocols that were being established.

Then, as it became more established, people didn't need to contribute to those protocols; they just used an established subset of them. So they'd use HTTP for websites, FTP for files, SMTP & POP3 for email, Telnet for remote comms, etc.

Further down the line, most of those protocols started to disappear in common use, and websites over HTTP started to be used for pretty much everything instead.

...and now we're at the point where most individual HTTP websites are dying out, being replaced by nearly everything being done on just a few key websites (Wikipedia, a handful of news websites, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)

I just wonder if the trend will continue, and if so what form it'll take (will there be one website to rule them all? Will the types of websites eventually disappear until everyone just uses Twitter for everything?! Who knows...)

It's alarming that more than a few people I know seem to think Google is “the internet”. Despite knowing the website they want to go on, they'll type it into the search bar on google, probably because google is set to be their start page. They'll then click the first returned result and off they go.

Sign of the times I guess.

It's alarming that more than a few people I know seem to think Google is “the internet”. Despite knowing the website they want to go on, they'll type it into the search bar on google, probably because google is set to be their start page. They'll then click the first returned result and off they go.

Sign of the times I guess.
I don't think that's something to worry about. Not everyone has to know everything. The same way you may know nothing about thermodynamic cycles, triglycerides or psychoanalysis, your neighbour has the right to know nothing about networking.

Edit: unless I have a website bookmarked, I will always use a search engine to find stuff. Look out. Like in my case, it could be a sign of paranoia, not ignorance! [emoji14]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom