'90 Ford Probe LX model - radio issues

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Hey, all, I just bought a '90 Ford Probe LX. Beautiful, fast and fun car. Looks great, runs great, and has extremely low miles to boot.

Problem when I bought it: the radio didn't work. Good news: I still had the radio I purchased 2 years ago for my F-150, and subsequently put in my Plymouth Voyager..

I'm having some major issues finding the right wiring diagram, however.

These ARE NOT the correct ones:

Constant 12V+ Blue/Red
Switched 12V+ Blue/White
Ground Chassis
Illumination Light Green/Black
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger White
Speakers
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Blue/Orange
Left Front (-) Blue/Black
Right Front (+) Blue
Right Front (-) Blue/Green
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Green/Orange
Left Rear (-) Green/Red
Right Rear (+) Green/Blue
Right Rear (-) Green

I don't know what the problem is!! :confused:

The factory wires are as follows: white(2), Blue w/yellow, Light Green w/black, Blue w/white, Blue w/orange, Blue w/red, Gray, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, and black.

I'm thinking that the colors that do match factory are the correct ones - but I don't know how to explain the lack of the green wires the diagram mentions....

I honest to God have no clue as to why there is so much difference between what every diagram is saying as to what I have in my car.

Only thing I can think of doing is pulling the door panels off and checking what color the wires are on the speakers and going from there, but I shouldn't have to do that..

I've even tried cross-referencing with a Mazda RX-6 (which is rumored to be the exact same car) with no luck...

Have you tried finding a Haynes Manual or Chilton Manual for the car? I have a Haynes for my truck and a Chilton for my Mustang and use it a lot of wiring. Granted the Mustang has a huge aftermarket so there are a ton of good resources, you can probably at least find a manual at advance auto or online. Also, try searching for a forum, I think the Probe will have one out there.

Finally, break out the volt meter and start testing...

how many wires are there that you do have?

do you know how the wires were connectted before? (like what went where) you could find a manual for the broken stereo and then know what the pinout was and what wires should be what.

do you have a multimeter? I'd suggest using that you search out pairs of wires.

find what pairs give either 4 or 8ohm resistance, that'll let you identify speaker pairs.
find what gives 0 ohms between wire and body contact to find the ground.

find what wire give 12v (if any) with ignition off.
find what is 12v ignition on.
and what wire gives 12v when the lights are on.

then you should be able to figure out either with a battery (to generate a little noise) or by trial and error through actually wiring it what speaker wire pair goes where.

Back
Top Bottom