40g ps3 to have backwards compadibility

DefCon_!1!

Fully Optimized
i was searcching good old google this morning, to se if there was any way to get my cheap 40g ps3 to play all my older games.

turns out, i might not need to

In a discussion between us and Sony an import merchant from the USA, which import to Germany, we experienced that the 40GB is to become downward compatible variant of the PS3 in October PS2 plays. The whole is to go via firmware an update of.

Thus our contact man added joking that he had get rid now immediately all 60GB of models, which he has still on supply, since they would suffer a noticeable depreciation after publication of the firmware. This sounds quite plausible, since many seize to around some more expensive 60GB model only due to the downward compatibility, which with same functionality of the 40GB of model then would become void.

On the question, how this from technical side will look, us it was insured that this was to take place “to 100% by means of software emulation”. According to the dealer is planned the firmware for October, to one hundred per cent it cannot assure this however.

We can likewise no warranty for the correctness of this message give to want to drive the fact out however that Sony announced recently, also PS2 of plays over the PSN make this step nevertheless very probably.

We hold you with new information up to date.

now my life has meaning :p

Expect the software emulation to not play all games, and the ones it does, to have a couple of problems here and there.
MGS 2 runs fine on my model though.

I have the 60GB version, but unlike the American versions of the past, the UK release never had hardware based backwards compatability. It has always been emulated in software.

Another win for the PS3. Wait till the new firmware gets released tomorrow. 360 fans won't have much to say about the PSN experience afterwords.

@ Kage your correct but here is a more in depth look. I took this from another forum on the same topic and thought this was a good reply.

When the PS2 launched it had a similar design as the PS3 did.

PS2 launched with basically PS1 hardware inside, this gave it 100% hardware B/C for PS1 games. As Sony developed the PS2, they were able to get Software Emulation to work so PS1 became Software emulated on the PS2 I believe in it's second or third revision (the first real price cut.) After that, Sony managed to tie the two chips in the PS2 (Graphics Synthesizer and Emotions Engine [GS+EE]) into one chip, with PS1 emulation handled by software, this was the second price cut and later on gave birth to the PS2-Slim.

The 20/60GB PS3 launched with the Cell+RSX+GS+EE chips all inside. Because of the inclusion of the GS+EE chip inside the PS3, this cost them more to make each unit. Sony managed to emulate one of the chips on the RSX (I believe it was the GS) but the EE proved to be difficult. I think this is why when the 40GB launched one of the Sony reps said B/C was still a possibility, but something that will fall ot the back burner. So the PS3 80GB has the EE chip inside (not in its true form, but part of it, since they said they could emulate some of the chip, but not all of it) in it plus the GS is emulated, so it has PS2 B/C support, but it's only at roughly ~70% of the PS2 library.

If Sony continued to research emulation of the EE chip and some how managed to get it working really good (of course always expect bugs, because even PS1 emulation isn't perfect when compared to playing it on a PS1 unit or a early PS2 unit) then they can add it to 80GB PS3 to remove the need of the half-EE chip and the 40GB which has no PS2 hardware inside.

At this point in the game, the only way to get PS2 B/C is through PS2 hardware (20/60GBs) or half support by hardware and software (80GB.)

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;815417 said:
Another win for the PS3. Wait till the new firmware gets released tomorrow. 360 fans won't have much to say about the PSN experience afterwords.

I still prefer 360 of PS2. I have a friend that works at Gamestop and the story she told me about the guy that brought a melted PS3 in for a return with the shelf still attached has completely turned me off to PS3. The guy ended up leaving with a 360 btw.

I still prefer 360 of PS2. I have a friend that works at Gamestop and the story she told me about the guy that brought a melted PS3 in for a return with the shelf still attached has completely turned me off to PS3. The guy ended up leaving with a 360 btw.

Don't get me wrong that statement was basically generalized to the people that talk about in game messaging etc and how that makes the 360's so much better.

As for your friend that burnt up a PS3 it must of had some issue's. The PS3's failure rate is much much lower than a 360's failure rate.

I'd own a 360 myself if it had games that I couldn't get on another platform. Most of the stuff gets ported to the computer so I just buy it for my computer. There may be a few titles I'd like to have that are not ports but not enough to justify spending a few hundred on. I love the 360 controller over the PS3 also. But the built in Blu Ray player and GT5P sealed the deal to go the PS3 route. Plus when I got mine there were certain titles that were exclusives to PS3 that are now on the 360 also.

I'm all for the games though so buy whatever has what you like.

It comes out 2moro

:D

Back
Top Bottom