40" 1080p LCD vs 50" 720p plasma

superman22x

Golden Master
My roommate is looking to buy a TV from one of two friends. The first TV is a 40" 1080p samsung LCD for $450, the second choice is a 50" 720p plasma for $400, also a samsung(cheapest plasma model).
That's all I know, which would you get?

720p will not look good on a 50 inch screen, so I gotta say the 40 inch LCD, as long as it has good contrast and color depth.

Any chance you can get us model numbers?

Not always. Could you notice a small difference? Perhaps. Would the difference be worth a 50% increase in price? Don't think so in this case.

Not always. Could you notice a small difference? Perhaps. Would the difference be worth a 50% increase in price? Don't think so in this case.

$400 to $450 is a 50% increase? Or are you talking about something else?

720p TVs mainly look less sharp, but I can also notice significant screen door effect on 720p plasmas. It depends on the model a bit, but most at this size have it pretty bad. This is what I care about more than sharpness.

It is also worth considering what the tv will be used for. If it is for gaming, the plasma will have a much faster response time, but it will suffer from burn in. Whenever you play a video game for a long time on a plasma tv, you will end up with an image of logos, compasses, numbers, etc. Burned into the screen for a while afterwards. In my experience, they can last a few minutes to several days. It can also become permanent if the image is sustained for an extremely long time.

Samsung plasmas do have very good color reproduction. I haven't paid huge attantion to their LCD tvs but their LCD monitors are really awesome.

$400 to $450 is a 50% increase? Or are you talking about something else?

719.99 + (1/2)719.99 = 1079.98

720p TVs mainly look less sharp, but I can also notice significant screen door effect on 720p plasmas. It depends on the model a bit, but most at this size have it pretty bad. This is what I care about more than sharpness.

Not really.

That's all I know, which would you get?

Ask him whether or not the television is going to be in a bright room. Also ask how far his viewing distance will be. Those will be the determining factors.

prob around 5ft and not in a real bright room if I remember correctly.

The other thing is, we don't have a blu-ray player, might not be getting HDTV service, and the only thing that really puts out HD is an xbox 360.

Back
Top Bottom