3d modeling

mammikoura

Golden Master
Just wondering if anyone else in here is into 3d modeling?
I did some stuff a while back, but then I guess I just didn't have the time and I kinda forgot about the whole thing. But now I started doing stuff again. Still doing all the beginners stuff, just some simple objects and once in a while just do one of those guides to learn new stuff.

So anyone else doing anything like this? Also post some pictures of your works if you want to.

Kage is pretty big on that type of stuff isn't he??

I took a drawing and design tech class this year at school, it was pretty interesting. We used Autodesk Inventor...

hmm, I don't have any experience with Autodesk Invertor but I use 3ds max which is from autodesk too.

Yeah, I'm a fan of 3D modelling/rendering.
I use 3D Studio Max 9, with the Vray renderer, as I believe that gives the best quality of visuals in the quickest time.
I haven't had much practise on Mental Ray though, but who knows.

I wouldn't say I'm that great at modelling... in fact, I'm probably just average, even though I've been doing it for around 6 years now. My rendering skills though are better...

Work tends to not get finished though, because I'm too much of a perfectionist. Here are a few examples any how:

DDR machine WIP:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=484252

Xbox 360 controller WIP:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=418829

Zen Vision M (completed)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/cf_kage/Zencomplete2.jpg

Air Freshner I made for a speed modelling competition on 3D Total:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/cf_kage/4Airrender.jpg

Athlon Freezer cooler (unfinished)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/cf_kage/AthlonCooler3.jpg

A test I did to try and improve my modelling skills (Its a hard drive cooler...)
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/cf_kage/HardDrivecooler640x480-2.jpg

I hope to see some of your works soon :)

those are excellent. I love the zen vision and Athlon Freezer cooler, they are so nice.

And I use 3ds max 9 too, I find it to be quite user friendly compared to something like blender.

And you probably won't see a ready work from me in ages, right now I don't even put textures on them, I just make the model. And I rarely even complete the model since I'm just practising, I usually don't even save the thing I'm working on. :D

I almost never finish something I'm working on either, but you must always save.

Honestly, save everything you do.

If its important, always save every time you do something major as a seperate file also.

How easy is 3d studio to use . cos i shown mammikoura some of my work on pro desktop over at cv and well i learnt how to use that pretty much by myself with few little pointers from teachers
Also i have loads of free time cos i have no school or college for about 6 weeks now so i relay wanna learn something new rather than sit on my arse all day doing jack .

Also Kage how long does it take you to render that stuff presuming your computer in your sig cos i have a pentium 4 2.8ghz with 512mb ram -making it a gig soon .And i realy dont wanna wait days for rendering

3D Studio Max is rather easy once you get the hang of it.

If you started with Blender, etc, I believe it'd be harder to get used to the interface, as that works more like Maya (I think?)
Its hard to say though... I guess it depends on how willing you are to run through tutorials to get used to the structure.

As for rendering, that depends on the render engine you use, and what types of effects you add.

All the renders up there, I used Global Illumination (light bounces around creating a very believable effect). This can take a while to render.

I also used blurred reflections and refractions (again, this can take longer than GI...)

Then theres motion/distance blur, and this can take longer still.

But, the render engine I use is Vray 1.5, and that is actually rather fast at producing these effects compared with the standard renderers.

That Zen Vision M render for instance with all the effects I had on, took around 1 hour.
It all depends on the quality you want to end up with. The same scene renderered in lower quality just for testing could take 1 minute or less.

3D Studio Max is rather easy once you get the hang of it.

If you started with Blender, etc, I believe it'd be harder to get used to the interface, as that works more like Maya (I think?)
Its hard to say though... I guess it depends on how willing you are to run through tutorials to get used to the structure.

As for rendering, that depends on the render engine you use, and what types of effects you add.

All the renders up there, I used Global Illumination (light bounces around creating a very believable effect). This can take a while to render.

I also used blurred reflections and refractions (again, this can take longer than GI...)

Then theres motion/distance blur, and this can take longer still.

But, the render engine I use is Vray 1.5, and that is actually rather fast at producing these effects compared with the standard renderers.

That Zen Vision M render for instance with all the effects I had on, took around 1 hour.
It all depends on the quality you want to end up with. The same scene renderered in lower quality just for testing could take 1 minute or less.
Ok i got lost when you said blender lol .well ok erm yeah . i am currently aquiring a copy of 3d studio max so yeah i will open it up and see where i get from there

oh, wow, kage, i took a look at some of your works, they are awesome.

im a big fan of 3-D design myself, but I really cant get into it very well. i like to use 3Ds max, but there is no way im going to buy it even though i love it so much. and my favorite free program to use, gMax, doesn't have Vista support yet.

I opened a thread in the gallery section about 3D design. I encourage you guys to post some stuff in there. I have already done so with a little Bot that i made in Google SketchUp.

Back
Top Bottom